Special sauce etc...needed for crisp poultry skin?

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
The answer to the question is NO it isn't ...but first there's nothing on this chicken quarter. There was no oil, no mayonaise, no special sauce or no seasoning/salt and it was tap on it sounding crispy.

I had left one of those bags of chicken quarters in the crisper of the fridge and forgot about it till it was a week or so after it's expiration. I used to throw out chicken like that but I forgot that dogs can still eat. I usually mix up some chicken with the old pooches food but didn't have much to put in it this morning and he wouldn't eat. :tsk: That's why I broke out these expired quarters I had frozen just for the dogs.... free fuel for the 007 so it's getting grilled.

Back to the chicken skin..Yea crispy as all get out, just flip skin side down for a while and the fats will render and turn crisp. For all those that grill try using something that will give you more distance between your charcoal fire then the skin can spend more time facing the direct heat with no black burning. Anyways that's the tip of the day!

Oh the hush puppies were for me! :becky: Nice and crisp but moist inside. Yum!

Lastly some chicken to mix in his food.

Anyways I know people constantly talk about crispy skin and this bird skin was fried pork rind crisp.

I think lots of people that grill realize the affect direct heat can have but are afraid to burn it because it's too close to the coals...which I totally understand. That's why raised direct even a few more inches so the skin can spend more time facing the coals will make a huge difference in the end result. For kettle type grills just something like the hover grill concept would work.

Last edited:
Nice. I will try your way.
My dog is a chicken-eating fool. Any way you cook it, fried, baked, grilled, smoked, no matter.

I just add a few extra sticks of mesquite and open the door to the FB the last 30 minutes on the smoker and it seems to work wonders... Raises the temps to about 325+, crisps the skin nicely but does not dry out the bird, by opening the door and using 2 or 3 mesquite sticks the fire gets real hot real fast and the airflow over the skin works wonders.

The bag unthawed enough to finish it all, then I'll shred it and freeze it in portions. (label dog food) :shock:

Still cracks me up for the 2nd day I'm bbq'n for a dog! :laugh:

Pouring out and heard tornado sirens from a distance.

Hey I heard them tornado sirens too! Dunno....I'm thinking a week past date ain't so bad for people food :wink:

Hey I heard them tornado sirens too! Dunno....I'm thinking a week past date ain't so bad for people food :wink:

We had warnings pretty much all around but no real part of the storm nailed us.

Ok, they're all cooked so you can test them out for me! ;)

Back