Texas Ruined Me.

50/50 KS and CBP will get you to a really happy place in your BBQ experience. There are a really good group of Texas companies that make great rubs too. Don't be afraid to add to the basics. Sucklebusters Texas Brisket Rub is one of my favorites. Janeks, Coopers, John Henry the various Texas Chains and family owned, all give a unique flavor- to your grilling/smoking experience.

I'm not big on sauces when eating hot off the cooker. But I do like sauce to the side for dipping my fork with leftovers. Again there are a lot of great companies in Texas that make Q Sauce.

Every State/Region and sometimes even different parts of towns can have unique tastes.

To me driving through the hill country on a cold drizzly morning with mesquite aroma from a small Q Joint hugging the ground is one of the best experiences in life.

Last edited:
.....Texas brisket and beef ribs are the real deal...something I try to chase on my own offset because I miss them so bad, but every area has their specialties.

When I can get local made champion Brats for $1.29 a pound and a case of beer for the lowest price in the nation ...well then it pays to be from Wisconsin.

When a local "brisket sandwich" is served to you as rubbery potroast on a bun....well, not so much.

There is a lot of pot roast brisket here too. I cook my own and have learned or am learning those places. You know...pot roast soaked in sauce.

I have relatives in Hurst, some of the best beef I've ever had came from roadside stands. Texans take their beef seriously and are good at it, I had a friend of mine take me to a small place with sawdust on the floor and a guy that said to me "boy what do you like". I told him give me what you would eat, it was really good!

It's interesting living in Colorado, having been born and raised in Texas. Most of the other BBQ I taste is different, good in it's own right, but doesn't compare to what I grew up on. Trying to match my food to the tastes of others (judges, etc) is an exercise in cognitive dissonance at times.

Trips back to the motherland are often BBQ overload, trying to make up for as much lost time as I can.

I will agree about no sauce on chopped pork and brisket, but i like my ribs "glazed" not covered in sauce.

But just S&P is crap to me. Q needs a good bark, and I have yet to produce a good bark with just S&P. Its like trying to find a unicorn. I am sure there are some purists that will frown upon the use of sugar/brown sugar/turbinado but its all about balance.

Ours are usually for cheap wore out gas grills that people are getting rid of because they upgraded to a Treager.

HA!!! The same up here in NH. Glad I'm not alone in a bbq starved wilderness. Good to know how to cook real Q!

Back