Brisket cook this weekend - thinking of injecting..

CambuiAl

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am cooking a big brisket in the UDS this weekend, which is my third to date. The first two have gone well, and been in the drum for around 18 hours in total, but this time I am wondering about injecting the meat.

What do you normally inject your brisket with (no steroids please!) to give it some extra flavour and juiciness when it comes off? My last two haven´t been dry at all, but I am keen to experiment and give it a go, seeing as I have the syringe from a trip to the US this year.

Or, are you totally against injecting brisket at all? If so, please convince me to maintain the integrity of my meat!

The rub is a smoked salt mix that I made by soaking rock salt in a mix of red wine, garlic, dry onion flakes, and black pepper corns, and then smoking the mix over Pecan wood until it formed a brown cake, which I then bashed up into a rub format. It tastes good, and gave a good flavour to the last brisket.

Any ideas for an injection gratefully received!

I've done a handful of briskets now and I've injected each one. At some point I should try it the other way, but they've all turned out so darn well that it's hard to stray from the technique that's been working for me.

Each of my briskets has been ~ 7-9lbs and I've injected the equivalent of an 8oz can of beef broth from the local grocery store - I dump it into a tupperware, add a little of whatever rub I'm using on the outside, and a few dashes of worcestershire sauce. Whatever I don't inject (usually a little less than half of the total volume) gets saved and I'll add a little to the foil when the time comes.

So far...they've turned out mighty tasty. But I'm not nearly as experienced as some of the folks on here.

I injected a brisket with beef broth once. It tasted like roast beef when done. Will not do injections again.

I use beef broth about 3 cups, into a 14 pound brisket. I like the idea of mixing it with your favorite rub, but you need to grind the rub fine and then strain the mix so you don't plug your injector needle.

The briskets I have done have been 14+ pound packers. I usually just open the can of broth and go to town until it's all plump. There is usually broth left in the can, but not a lot. I let it sit for a while to settle and then apply my rub. I then wrap it and put it in the fridge until time to cook, usually overnight.

Never had one turn out tasting like roast beef or heard any complaints from the people I cooked it for. But, to each their own...

Thanks - some good feedback from everyone. I will probably give it a miss for this weekend, as I haven't done it before, and it's all worked out fine, but will perhaps experiment with something smaller and see how it goes.

Beef broth in cans? I guess I would be making my own - perhaps I will make some broth from some trimmings one day, and make a supply of broth to use.

Oh yeah, if you have time to make it yourself, it would be even better. I'm lazy when it comes to things like that. :mrgreen:

Have some dignity and and don't inject. If your craving beef broth can i suggest making soup instead.

Kosmo"s and dr.pepper for the liquid works well for me.

Sorry for hijacking, but has anyone ever injected using beer? I figure, the beer would add flavor, and the carbonation may help with tenderness, or so I've heard.

when i inject beef use a 12 oz coke, heeping table spoon of Beef base, and A1 sauce, may sound crazy but makes for some damn good comp brisket..

At Myron Mixons class we made our own beef base broth and injected the hell out of it. Let it sit over night and smoked hot and fast. It came out awesome! His philosophy was if you think you've injected enough do more lol

Back