New Smoker Build

NRA4Life

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Back in February I scored the air compressor tank off of CL for $75.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125594

We finally found time to start the smoker project. Going to be a reverse flow with 2 cooking racks. The plan is to make it so I can load it onto my 5x8 trailer with a ramp to transport. The tank is 1/4", and is about 5.5 ft long, 24" diameter. At some point, probably this winter, we will insulate the firebox. Dave is the welder and he is a real wizzard with it. I'm the grinder and the cook.

firebox, 24"x24", 5/16" thick.
IMG_2786.jpg

A couple pics of my buddy Dave welding the firebox onto the tank:
IMG_2807.jpg

IMG_2808.jpg

Attached a couple 10" tires to the rear, and a trailer jack to the front.

IMG_2810.jpg

And the door finished.

IMG_2812.jpg

Great looking start Kevin, can't wait to see the progress. It should be a nice addition to your collection. I just started my stumps xl stretch clone..I will try to send you a few pictures.

Adam

Always nice to have friends with wizard welding skills. Looks like you're off to a great start, Kevin! :thumb:

Always nice to have friends with wizard welding skills. Looks like you're off to a great start, Kevin! :thumb:

Thanks Tish. It would have been all but finished but the heat baffle and firebox door steel didn't get cut.

Great looking start Kevin, can't wait to see the progress. It should be a nice addition to your collection. I just started my stumps xl stretch clone..I will try to send you a few pictures.

Adam

Adam, thanks. Looking forward to seeing that stumps clone you're making. Take pics through the build and start a thread, everyone likes to see a new build!

Updated progress:
Installed the heat baffle, the cooking grate support angle iron, the firebox door, and framed the firebox opening with angle.

baffle.jpg

door.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

That design with the wheels and the trailer hitch is very cool. Nice work. Gotcha a good friend there too.

I like the adjustable jack idea. It will keep it level. You can also jack it up or down to drain the grease out.

Thanks. We were going to put it on 4 tires, but I knew I wanted the adjustability that the trailer jack provides.

Last night's updates:
Finished the cooking grates and the smokestack stub. I use the black stove pipe available at your local Lowes for the rest of the stack and install it when I get to where I'm cooking (incase you noticed the stack was short).

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

Back