KCBS Membership - your thoughts

YankeeBBQboy

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I've currently have been a member of the KCBS for two years now and a certified judge for years as well (although i haven't judged yet.) I'm really not into competition for many reason and when I get the "Bullsheet" I notice that there isn't really interesting in there that I can't find by reading the posts here for a couple of days or so.

I'm curious, how many of you are KCBS members and what motivates you to keep your membership? Do you find that you get your money's worth from membership if you don't compete? My membership is up in May and I wonder if I should renew or use the money on something else BBQ related.

It is only worth the access to Restaurant Depot to me. Because it looks like another bbq membership is going to get me access, I'm not renewing.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I joined a couple years ago in order to get the day pass at Restaurant Depot. I do some fundraising cooking for my kids' school so the price of the membership was worth the money I saved. This year, however, the RD deal was off right at the time I re-upped with KCBS, and in my view this was handled very poorly - i.e. info was not given out - a bunch of us just went to RD and got turned away - so it was basically a waste of money since I don't compete and I'm not aware of any benefits of membership with KCBS for non-competitors.

The RD deal is supposedly back on, but a lot of people, myself included, have had troubles getting day passes anyway, and frankly the hassle of going down to RD and having the potential of a problems at the door keeps me from going there rather than just going to my usual butchers. If I'm buying quantity it's worth it for me to head to RD and take the chance, but for a single brisket or a butt or 2, it's not. Aside from that, I looked into CBJ classes and they seem to never have them in CA. I am not at all sure if I'll re-up my membership with KCBS when the time comes around - but youbetchurass I'll renew my subscription to this place over and over again.

Been thinking about becoming a certified judge. In that case you have to join. Of course you also have to join if you want to compete.

KCBS is a 501(c)3 charity. I belong to support it, just like I pay dues to other organizations that support and/or promote other hobbies/interests of mine. For me, it's not about what I get from KCBS, but what KCBS does for BBQ in general that interest me.

We can (and do) debate the methods they use to achieve this, but I don't think BBQ would be in the public eye the same way it is today without KCBS.

I joined for the RD day pass, I only went once because it was such a hassle and they had no idea about the day pass, I haven't renewed KCBS in a few years.

A subscription to this place is much better, now if we can only get a RD day pass system for being a Brethren....

There are members of the Brethren that are on the KCBS Board. Hopefully one of them will chime in on this thread and perhaps share their thoughts.

I recently ponyed up for a subscription here because this place does provide me huge value. I have been thinking about joining KCBS. But I have been thinking for a few months. I am hoping to get into competition but that is a very expensive proposition. KCBS by it's actions appear to only be interested in supporting competitive BBQ. That is the teams, judging and sanctioning events. And I cannot say I blame them - that is where the money is and frankly it is more sexy then supporting the backyard BBQ gang.

But I guess I'm selfish. If I am going to put down my $$$ I want to know I am getting something for it. Some will say it is only $35 and yes they are right. But it is my $35 and I'm not just going to throw it away. I will probably sign up for a year so I can see first hand what it is like. But my expectations are very low given from what I have seen from the outside. Though I am prepared to be wrong. If I am I will tell everyone that will listen that I a wrong and why.

CBQ said above that "...I don't think BBQ would be in the public eye the same way it is today without KCBS" and I agree with him. They are very good at what they do. And perhaps it should be accepted that KCBS is really not geared to support the backyard BBQ cooker. And frankly that would be perfectly fine. But the KCBS mission statement indicates the goal is to promote BBQ overall. I was on a thread here recently that the KCBS president and at least one other KCBS member of the board was participating in. The idea of having a seat on the KCBS Board reserved for a KCBS member that was neither a judge or actively competing was floated. I don't believe either the president or the member of the board commented. Should they have? I don't know. And to be fair, there may well be internal discussions going on that addresses this.

Anyway, just my miscellaneous ramblings/observations. Hope this helps.

Brian

Last edited:
Been thinking about becoming a certified judge. In that case you have to join. Of course you also have to join if you want to compete.

A KCBS membership is not required to compete in a KCBS contest. It is required for Team of the Year, and the Sam's Club contests. I have maintained my membership for several years because I judge a few contests a year, and am working my way to Master CBJ. Honestly there is not a lot of value with the membership, but I will continue to renew.

I stay in so I can judge a comp here and there to see how others are doing things.. cheaper to judge than compete LOL.. plus it's a business writeoff for me!

KCBS is a 501(c)3 charity. I belong to support it, just like I pay dues to other organizations that support and/or promote other hobbies/interests of mine. For me, it's not about what I get from KCBS, but what KCBS does for BBQ in general that interest me.

Us too.

Thanks for all your responses. Just out of curiosity, I looked at the latest Bullsheet and of the 40 pages of articles, advertisement and the like, I saw a total of 3 pages that were not devoted to either advertisement (many advertising upcoming competitions) or competition news, advice or results. I certainly understand their emphasis on competition but there should be somewhat of a happy medium between those who compete and those who are backyard cooks.

I'm sure that KCBS serves a purpose but just not for me.

as a former competitor & judge, being a member of KCBS serves that purpose well...

but for the backyard cook, there is really little to no value (except if the RD Depot membership or a discount on a hotel comes in handy) or you just like supporting BBQ in some weird way...

there is just so much better info out on the web, classes, books, etc.. that I just don't see KCBS needed to change their course toward competition and $$, vs. focusing on backyard cooks were you really can't generate much additional revenue from beyond the initial membership.

I'm a member for the comeraderie of the BBQ/Smoking nation and am proud to wear the KCBS atire at competitions both local and out of area. I believe they have helped expand our passionate hobby/sport just as this forum and others in among the BBQ/smoking community.

KCBS is a 501(c)3 charity.

Huh? What charitable works does this organization do? I don't see anything on the website to suggest this.

BTW, non-profit does not equal charity.

I posted a similar topic a little while ago.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151531

I agree that there is little value in membership to kcbs for the backyard cook. I was however impressed that Candy responded within the thread. But I don't think I will be re-upping until I see more value in membership. Come June, I will use my $ towards a subscription here. Much greater value for a backyard cook and better ROI IMHO.

Back