Experimenting with using WSM as a pit

RolandJT

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of posts indicating some brthern use WSM's without water pans at all--sort of as pits.

Anyone do that and if so, any pointers?

I used it for making KFC for a people's choice wing category at a comp last weekend. Worked great.

I did it twice. Once with chucks, and it was OK and once with pork butts and I totally didn't like the flavor of all that fat that sizzled on the coals. I prefer to have the foil covered pan in place.

I've tried that, didn't work well for me. If you want a UDS, get a UDS. All cookers are generally designed to work a certain way and although they might work otherwise, they will always work better as designed, IMHO.

I've tried that, didn't work well for me. If you want a UDS, get a UDS. All cookers are generally designed to work a certain way and although they might work otherwise, they will always work better as designed, IMHO.

Then I'm sure you put water in your WSM then? BTW the only reason it was designed to use a water pan is for joe shmoe that is new to smoking. If people run them without water is that a cardinal sin then?

I used water in the pan once. Was a pain to clean up. Now I have a clay saucer in it. I always have the water pan in place, unless I am making chicken and I want the higher temps.

Wow. Glad I didn't listen to this advice. Then I wouldn't have tried using mine to direct grill or even do a pizza on. Don't get me wrong, I agree some tools are better at what they were designed for, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Then I'm sure you put water in your WSM then? BTW the only reason it was designed to use a water pan is for joe shmoe that is new to smoking. If people run them without water is that a cardinal sin then?

I use with and without water, depending on various factors, and yes they are designed to be used with water but definitely NOT designed to be used without a pan. I suppose I could use it to cook fish and hotdogs because they will cook in there, but that is never going to happen any more than using it without a pan.

I use with and without water, depending on various factors, and yes they are designed to be used with water but definitely NOT designed to be used without a pan. I suppose I could use it to cook fish and hotdogs because they will cook in there, but that is never going to happen any more than using it without a pan.

I'd just finish to say that any equipment can be made to perform better than it was designed to do for various kinds of meat. If someone doesn't experiment to make things better than they are missing out on potential improvements imo.

Is it because of the taste you get from the drippings hitting the coals?

Or something else?

Sorry to have started a scuffle. I was just curious since I had heard about it.

I've decided based on this that there are certainly different opinions on the subject.:rolleyes:

When all the poopla was going on about the PBC I pulled the pan and did a couple cooks. Wasn't for me. Although I do like to drip pork grease on things like baked beans, I'm not a fan of burnt grease smoke.

Stickburners don't cook the drippings either.

At the same contest last weekend, for our anything but category we made a grilled desert sandwich, and we grilled on it, took the middle and top sections off, put the top grate over the bottom section, and went to town. They were fantastic.

I've done without the pan in place. I prefer the pan as a shield. I would do it with chicken but I usually use the kettle instead.

Really? Drippings on a hot reverse flow plate, tuning plates, foiled water bowl etc...don't make grease smoke?

Wouldn't drippings directly into fire be the cleanest of them all?

Clean grease smoke- interesting concept.

I'm confident my stickburner doesn't cook the drippings in any significant way. Some may, as you suggest.

Of course the PBC makes the purest, bestest grease smoke of them all.

I've used a cheap brinkman bullet smoker and now a WSM and a UDS, used water once in the brinkman. Read a lot about others using sand, crushed cans, or another type of heat sync in or in place of the water pan. When i do use my water pan, it's empty and I foil over the top of it to keep it as clean as I can. It does get some drippings in it but they come off rather easily. Chicken is almost always cooked without the water pan, and if i want to do a hot and fast butt or shoulder, i usually remove the pan. I also remove the whole middle section and put the grill grate over the charcoal ring and sear over the coals. Works really well, and you can still rest the lid on the base.

Sure tools were designed for a specific use and purpose, innovation takes place when you use those same tools in a new way expanding it's abilities and value.

You can use it fine with or without water as appropriate for what you are trying to do.

A metal chamber heated by some means with smoke introduced in some way is not really a PIT

Back