All's well that ends well, I guess

SmokinBerto

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was asked to smoke the Meat for a friend of mine's sons girlfriends birthday on Sunday. I was told that they had a couple of butts, I added a brisket & a rack of ribs. I've been modifying the UDS almost weekly since I (finished it) So I spent Saturday getting it presentable.
The deal was supposed to be that they would season the butts & I was just supposed to cook them. We arrived at their house @ about 10am. When we got their the hostess for the party was hungover, the butts weren't seasoned and there was a lot of hollering going on. I worked on getting the smoker set up while my significant other prepared the butts. While I'd have rather had the butts cure for at least 12 hours before smoking there wasn't time. everything went in. The temp was pretty constant @ about 230. The Ribs & brisket cooked for a little over 3 1/2 hours before I wrapped them in foil. I let the butts cook for a little longer before wrapping. After approximately 2 hours wrapped I smoked the ribs unwrapped for an hour & took them off. The brisket took a little longer to finish so it came off after everyone had eaten almost everything else. I've never seen so much food disappear so quickly.
2014-07-27_11-32-51_961_zps0fdc34ae.jpg

Lesson learned. Don't count on anyone when you are cooking. If you are cooking it prep everything yourself. Glad it worked out.

I agree with Pyle's BBQ.... Always have complete control over your cook.

Even for family and friends, I buy the meat and prep it the way I want, and they reimburse me. I won't have it any other way, no matter how good of a friend or how close the family member is, I control all aspects of the cook. They are free to help, but all prep work is done in my kitchen and stored in my refrigerators.

This way my timing is always on schedule..

Sad to say but bacteria is more dependable than some people are (LOL).

The bottom line is you were given a curve ball and you worked around it. The food was good because it vanished quickly. Your stressful moments were simply a lesson in the dependability of others. Use this to your advantage in future cooks and save yourself some headaches. But remember there are many more lessons to learn.

Congratulations on the great cook.

Great job at salvaging the cook.

Also, I think you need to pick a thermometer that's just a little larger :laugh:

I agree with mad man. It's my responsibility to not get people sick so i try to control as much as possible.

Good job rolling with the punches :clap2:

I wouldn't worry about a 12 rub - the only thing that penetrates
to any degree is salt - the rest of the rub stays mostly outside.
Great job on wingin' it! Any pics of the brisket?
Did they even eat it?

I wish you would find a larger therm. I don't know how you read anything that small.

Great save. Never delegate anything that matters.

I agree with Pyle's BBQ.... Always have complete control over your cook.

Even for family and friends, I buy the meat and prep it the way I want, and they reimburse me. I won't have it any other way, no matter how good of a friend or how close the family member is, I control all aspects of the cook. They are free to help, but all prep work is done in my kitchen and stored in my refrigerators.

This way my timing is always on schedule..

Sad to say but bacteria is more dependable than some people are (LOL).

The bottom line is you were given a curve ball and you worked around it. The food was good because it vanished quickly. Your stressful moments were simply a lesson in the dependability of others. Use this to your advantage in future cooks and save yourself some headaches. But remember there are many more lessons to learn.

Congratulations on the great cook.

Ditto. Been burned too many times.

I wish you would find a larger therm. I don't know how you read anything that small.

Great save. Never delegate anything that matters.

Thermometers are just a suggestion of temp. You still don't know when it will be done.:thumb:

Back