The True Pitmaster

Hoppy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was just thinking....,
The Term "Pitmaster" is Thrown Around So Easily These Days........ Heck They Even Have a TV Show Called Pitmaster.

IMAG0155_zps45b13ca8.jpg

To me the real Pitmasters are folks like this man that cooked on a pit that the flames never goes out that survive on very little sleep that most likely have lungs of that of a smoker. That has sweat dripping off his forehead that never complains and seldom finds time to share in conversation but humble and always shares a smile when eye contact is made.
He has never heard brand name of fancy rubs and sauces because he knows only his own ingredients and doesn't waste time to experiment with others because he has dedicated his life to his skill making it the best he knows how to.
He has never had foil or butcher paper touch the meats he cooks because to him a cut of meat is his baby and like a protective parent he never let's it out of his sight.

He comes from deep roots of BBQ Pitmasters that dates back to his Grandmother that made a tough hunk of trash meat that was given to her by the slave master that she may make it tender and delicious for her family that work tirelessly in the hot summers fields.

My friends I'm just a fella that loves to cook BBQ........

But men like this in my mind are The True Pitmasters and they have no need for Trophy's or Ribbons Because he cooks with passion and declines public recognition.

You're pretty much on point with this post!:thumb: Like so many other things, the truest meanings behind words and titles have been sort of lost and terms like "Pit Master" are way over used! There are people that I've seen on the TV show that couldn't carry Aaron Franklin's cleaver, yet they're considered "Pit Masters".:roll:
There's examples of this everywhere. In music for instance, we've gone from The Beatles or Led Zeppelin being considered great pop or rock n' roll to Lady GAG-GAG or Justin Bieber?!?!?:twitch: PALEEEEZ!!!:roll: What people are calling Country music now is what I call "redneck pop" and true country died about ten to fifteen years ago yet the CMA continues to call their watered down brand of southern rock "country music".:doh:
I don't know, I guess I'm getting old or something! LOL!!!

Ditto Olebill. That makes two of us.......

Everyone seems to need the attention my friend.......

The Only Country music that plays today is the greats of Yester Year.

Great post. BBQ roots do go deep...especially here in the South...and they go way back in time as well. And you are right about the word Pitmaster being thrown around a lot. I consider myself a Pitmaster, maybe not of the kind on TV or the kind trying to win that trophy or monetary prize, but the kind that loves to hear my friends, family (especially grandkids), and neighbors, and tell me that they just ate the best BBQ they've ever eaten. I consider myself a pitmaster because I have a pit...built it by myself (took me over a year)...and I cook on it at a high level of competency (I master it, not the other way around). I'm a pitmaster because I love those long hours of maintaining a proper temp and air flow using the right woods to make the meat give my loved ones the most enjoyment. And I think that's what makes a real pitmaster, like the one you shared with us.

What people are calling Country music now is what I call "redneck pop" and true country died about ten to fifteen years ago yet the CMA continues to call their watered down brand of southern rock "country music".:doh:
Must be me, too.

I used to dig country music but the other day, the FIL played me some song he liked called "This is how we roll" by some D-bags dressed like some prima donna rockers. When I first walked in, the TV was on mute and I laughed and asked if that was really a country music group. Then he turned on the sound and I laughed harder inside!

the thing that make's me sick is were paying alot of money for the meat they used to throw away.

Must be me, too.

I used to dig country music but the other day, the FIL played me some song he liked called "This is how we roll" by some D-bags dressed like some prima donna rockers. When I first walked in, the TV was on mute and I laughed and asked if that was really a country music group. Then he turned on the sound and I laughed harder inside!
So peeps, we've established a couple of things today,... a guy can't hardly get a real beer or real music these days! I'm beginning to think that people with any taste in anything at all are being discriminated against!:p
Oh well, I guess that's all the more reason to have a nice back patio with OUR music, OUR beer and OUR food. If the world wants to settle for mediocrity then I'll just stay at home with the family, a few good friends and the dogs!:wink:

So peeps, we've established a couple of things today,... a guy can't hardly get a real beer or real music these days! I'm beginning to think that people with any taste in anything at all are being discriminated against!:p
Oh well, I guess that's all the more reason to have a nice back patio with OUR music, OUR beer and OUR food. If the world wants to settle for mediocrity then I'll just stay at home with the family, a few good friends and the dogs!:wink:
Sounds like a helluva plan!

Agree on all counts! :thumb:

Great post, Hoppy. :thumb:

You're pretty much on point with this post!:thumb: Like so many other things, the truest meanings behind words and titles have been sort of lost and terms like "Pit Master" are way over used! There are people that I've seen on the TV show that couldn't carry Aaron Franklin's cleaver, yet they're considered "Pit Masters".:roll:
There's examples of this everywhere. In music for instance, we've gone from The Beatles or Led Zeppelin being considered great pop or rock n' roll to Lady GAG-GAG or Justin Bieber?!?!?:twitch: PALEEEEZ!!!:roll: What people are calling Country music now is what I call "redneck pop" and true country died about ten to fifteen years ago yet the CMA continues to call their watered down brand of southern rock "country music".:doh:

Are you in my head?? :shock:

Great post...you are right about the word Pitmaster being thrown around a lot. I consider myself a Pitmaster, maybe not of the kind on TV or the kind trying to win that trophy or monetary prize, but the kind that loves to hear my friends, family (especially grandkids), and neighbors, and tell me that they just ate the best BBQ they've ever eaten...I love those long hours of maintaining a proper temp and air flow using the right woods to make the meat give my loved ones the most enjoyment. And I think that's what makes a real pitmaster, like the one you shared with us.

I, too, am truly happiest when I can enjoy a nice day and tend a fire, then share the spoils with my friends and family. Hell, I'd get up at 4 AM to split wood, season meat and tend a fire, all while sweating and wearing myself out, and not eat a morsel to have others enjoy it. I don't get to tend a fire much with my current pits, and it's best with the young age of my kids, but a stickburner is in my future again, no doubt. I miss tending a fire.

the thing that make's me sick is were paying alot of money for the meat they used to throw away.

AMEN!

...I guess that's all the more reason to have a nice back patio with OUR music, OUR beer and OUR food. If the world wants to settle for mediocrity then I'll just stay at home with the family, a few good friends and the dogs!:wink:

Seriously...get out of my head!!! :shocked::shocked:

Strong post! Thanks for sharing. Although we may differ on cuts, sauces, etc, BBQ is one of purest food traditions that we all share as Americans.

I tell people all the time that bbq'n is an art and a skill that is not easily mastered. There's so much bad bbq out there that when you come across good bbq appreciate it. It's not the easiest thing in the world to do.

He has never heard brand name of fancy rubs and sauces because he knows only his own ingredients and doesn't waste time to experiment with others because he has dedicated his life to his skill making it the best he knows how to.
He has never had foil or butcher paper touch the meats he cooks because to him a cut of meat is his baby and like a protective parent he never let's it out of his sight.
Aaron Franklin - not a real Pitmaster.

:blah:

Back