Post your best advice for chicken in a WSM

food4thot

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Bought a couple whole Amish chickens to smoke tomorrow. Usually do chicken beer-can style in the Performer. Have smoked many things but have never done chicken or turkey.

Brine: I have time to do one but feel kinda lazy right now. Any success stories without brining? Marinate instead?

Wood: Have apple, cherry, pecan and hickory to choose from. Pick one or two

Recipe: Seasoning and/or marinade?

Spatchcock it and do your favorite chicken rubs with either mayo or evoo to hold it and crisp up the skin.

If two chickens then halve them so you can fit the pieces on the top grate (assuining 18.5" WSM). Run at 300-325 degrees. I like a chunk or two of cherry. Rub of your choice. Brine optional.

Spatchcock it and do your favorite chicken rubs with either mayo or evoo to hold it and crisp up the skin.
Skin side up? Weighted? Do you leave the water pan out to get the skin to crisp up in a WSM?

If two chickens then halve them so you can fit the pieces on the top grate (assuining 18.5" WSM). Run at 300-325 degrees. I like a chunk or two of cherry. Rub of your choice. Brine optional.
Both birds are around 4# and will fit easily on the 18.5 top rack. Is there an advantage to halving them?

I'd use the apple and hickory.
I'd spatch them both. I'd cook skin side down first half, then skin side up second half of the cook.
I always remove the water pan when cooking chicken. I leave the lid cracked a bit with all vents wide open, so I can easily hit high, HIGH temperatures.
I dry brine mine, sometimes I inject with a compound butter instead of doing the dry brine.

I wish you luck with your endeavor.

Bought a couple whole Amish chickens to smoke tomorrow. Usually do chicken beer-can style in the Performer. Have smoked many things but have never done chicken or turkey.

Brine: I have time to do one but feel kinda lazy right now. Any success stories without brining? Marinate instead?

Wood: Have apple, cherry, pecan and hickory to choose from. Pick one or two

Recipe: Seasoning and/or marinade?

know nothing about "Amish chickens" so aside from them being very devout are they a substandard chicken or superior?

The only time I brine chicken is if I have some cheaper supermarket industrial raised chickens.

Cook 'em high, say 400-500f and you'll get a juicy bird with great skin.
Brush a little thyme butter on it now and then.

know nothing about "Amish chickens" so aside from them being very devout are they a substandard chicken or superior?
ha ha! :clap:

The only time I brine chicken is if I have some cheaper supermarket industrial raised chickens.
Industrial poultry here in the States is often pre-brined to add selling weight, especially turkeys.

Cook 'em high, say 400-500f and you'll get a juicy bird with great skin.
Brush a little thyme butter on it now and then.
400 seems kinda high but like I said, I've never smoked chicken before.

Appreciate advice from you and others. Not using the water pan is something I had not previously considered, but it makes complete sense

I was just actually going to post about chicken on a WSM. Is this how you would do pulled chicken?

I tried some at this place in Sturbridge Mass and you didn't need sauce or anything. I've been wanting to make some.

Yup go hot, I don't usually brine because as you said many already are. You can leave the pan if you want to, just no water. It makes higher heat impossible. I prop the door open with my chimney (since the weed burner it is my only use for it) to get more heat if needed. What times lunch? I'm close by

Even without water, my WSM won't reach high heat with the water pan in. Light a bunch of coals, leave all vents wide open, maybe crack the lid (I haven't tried that yet). Shoot for 375* - 400*. I read that whole spatchcocked chickens will take about 90 mins, but go by temp, not time. Look for 165* in the breast and 165*-175* or higher in the thigh.

300F, no diffuser, SYD chicken rub. cut the chicken up and cook 40-45 minutes. Buy 3-4lb chickens, non enhanced. Don't inject. Glaze with favorite bbq sauce last five minutes in pit.

That's the best chicken I've tasted so far anyways.

On board with spatchcock, no water pan, and high heat...as most of you have suggested.

Could/should duck be done the same way with a drip pan on the lower rack?

Post your best advice for chicken on a WSM

I never brine my chickens, I have done the spatchcock method with success and beer can method but I don't waste beer anymore. I just set the birds on the cans and let them go with a good rub inside and out and mop every 30 minutes or so. Comes out perfect every time.

Attachments

• DSC03500.JPG
    DSC03500.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 39
On board with spatchcock, no water pan, and high heat...as most of you have suggested.

Could/should duck be done the same way with a drip pan on the lower rack?

Yep, but you had better SAVE that duck fat. Save it, and treasure it, and cook with it.
Mmmmmm, duck fat.

Back