• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Spot-on Brisky (w/ pron)

Phat Boy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Good afternoon brethren! Now, while I have smoked many a brisky, much to everyone else's delight whom eats it, to myself, there has always been something just a bit "off". While everyone else raves, I cannot help to think to myself what I could have done to make it even better, but I finally found out that I just need to be a bit more patient.

I started off Saturday night around 11:00 with a 15 lb packer.

After rubbed with EVOO anD S/P/G/O, I waited for the UDS to get to temp.

Side note- I bought an electric charcoal starter and will probably never use the chimney again! I hated trying to dump coals in the basket in the UDS.

After about 10 min coals were ready and the brisky went on.

Temps were steady at 225 (with a long thermometer stuck through a hole down to the grate)

After about 4 hours I decided to use the digital thermometer down the smoke stack and it shot to 400 and kept climbing. I immediately opened the lid and placed the probe on the grate and much to my dismay it did the same thing-400 and climbing. I checked my original thermometer and it had apparently been submerged in the water pan below the brisky (this was the first time I used a water pan on the UDS.) I KCCO'd and immediately played damage control to get the temps where I needed them and decided to put my brisky fate in the BBQ God's hands and called it a night (minus the few minutes of sleep lost to check temps every 1.5 hrs).

After a 8:45 wake up call from my 2 yr old son, it was time to get up and see if we were ready to wrap. Foiled around 10:00 am, and back on until probe ready.

I began to probe around 3:00 and met resistance. After another hour, still not probing like butta. One more hour and we were ready to be removed and placed in a cooler.

It was this point in which I informed my wife that they were in for something special.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 451
Looks really good! Was that 18 hours total?

Your prayers have been answered by the BBQ Gods :pray:. That brisket looks awesome. And I'm sure it tasted just as good.

Nice. I'm jealous. The moisture in the flat is impressive. Do you think the water pan helped? Was a lower temp helpful or was that just where the drum wanted to run?

I've done 2 packers in my UDS so far and guests thought they were good, but the flats were both dry. One was an attempted HnF cook, the other closer to 250. I've considered a water pan, but always felt the UDS was moist enough. Have not considered injecting and I think have the probe like buttah feeling down, but maybe not...

It is truly a good feeling when you nail a brisket. The wife won't eat ribs or pork butt every day but when I nail a brisket it's beef brisket every day until it's gone. Good job!

Did you use some of that good Texas pecan wood available around Richmond for flavor? Your "brisky" looks awesome. When I hit the big 6, I am going to go back to smoking briskets. :icon_smile_tongue: In the mean time, I will be working on improving my rib game, and some spatchcocked yard birds.

Have a Blessed day!

Omar

Although the brisket looks dang good, what I find most impressive is that you got to sleep in until 8:45. The Brisket is just icing on the cake.:clap:

No better feeling than knowing that you nailed that brisket! Congrats!

Back