Why doesn't Wichita have a comp?

Chenernator

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone know why Wichita, KS doesn't have a KCBS contest? Granted, there's one in Valley Center, but I would think that someone in the city would host one. Is it a saturation issue, or something else?

I have often wondered the same thing. There was a contest, South Central Kansas Masters, last held in 2010, don't know why it ended. Based on the KCBS website it looks like it was held for 7 years, the last contest had 35 teams. I would guess it would just take an organizer to get one started, and a decent place to hold it.

Great question. I have no idea. There was one several years ago at Cowtown. Our mayor, Carl Brewer, is an active BBQer so I am suprised that he hasn't gotton the ball rolling, so to speak. Riverside Park would be a great venue for it as well. I'll ask Don at ATBBQ next time I see him.

Yes, Wichita used to have 2 different contests over the years... if organizers burn out, or change focus, and no one is there to pick up the baton, good contests can end for no good reason.

Would love to see one down there again! and can think of a couple of good venues!

Great question. I have no idea. There was one several years ago at Cowtown. Our mayor, Carl Brewer, is an active BBQer so I am suprised that he hasn't gotton the ball rolling, so to speak. Riverside Park would be a great venue for it as well. I'll ask Don at ATBBQ next time I see him.

Seems like ATBBQ would be a natural sponsor, too.

I come to Wichita to see the in-laws, and it'd be great to time it with a comp and not have to drive out to Burlington or Yates Center. Those are nice comps, but I've already traveled 2000 miles. :biggrin1:

Yes, Wichita used to have 2 different contests over the years... if organizers burn out, or change focus, and no one is there to pick up the baton, good contests can end for no good reason.

Would love to see one down there again! and can think of a couple of good venues!

Andy I know CompBBQ would help an organizer. Any chance that ATB would be interested in helping? I know we would help the organizer probably even cut a deal on the cost. Just a thought...

Back