wild boar smoking

C

chopdr230

Some friends and i went to texas and killed a few wild boars . This weekend we are having a party and i have been in listed to do the smoking . i can cook a normal pork shoulder no problem but the few pieces of boar i have cooked seem to turn out on the dry side . Do i need to do any thing different with the boar ? I will be doing 4 shoulders and 4 hams on my water smoker . It is a papas little cooker the same smoker myron uses the small one any way . It likes to run around 275 . I usually wrap my shoulders after 4hrs . Do i need to wrap earlier so they dont dry out . If i was doing this just for my self i wouldnt worry but its alot of my bosses meat for his big party so i dont want to f it up . Thanks for any help ...... AL

I Would wrap earlier since wild boar is a leaner form of pork and let it cook more in its own juices.. you could also try the foil pan method that Myron uses and explains in his cook book. let us know how it comes out.

I cannot take credit for this method, I got this from Little Chef over on the Egghead forum, but I made a wild boar shoulder and used this method to brine. It came out tasty, and worth the effort. And yes, it is leaner, so it may cook a bit faster, more like 1-1.5 hour per pound not 1.5-2 hr per pound, but I've only cooked one, so what do I know:

(From Little Chef):
If it is fresh boar, you want to do a "purge" brine for 24 hours. Simply 1 c Kosher salt, 1/2 cup regular sugar, per 1 gallon of water. You need to make enough to cover, so double, triple, etc the recipe as needed. If you want to brine in a cooler to keep the space in the fridge, simply make a heavily iced water per the measurements. Purge brine for 24 hours. (and if your buddy is smart, you guys will purge brine ALL the meat! When we did the 2 of the 3 boars, we honestly used a 100+ gallon cooler, and it was packed to the lid. I used about 5 lbs of kosher salt in that purge brine) When you see the purge brine, beware. Looks like a slaughter house but worse.
sick.png
Completely drain the purge brine, and all the other nasties in the cooler. Please attempt the purge brine if it is frozen, but put it in the brine mixture after it is fully thawed.

After the purge, Mix 2 tablespoons pickling spice, 1 cup kosher salt, and 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed) per gallon of water, making enough to cover. Allow to brine in the spiced mixture for 24 hours. Rinse well, and pat dry, and ready for the Egg just like a normal butt...

Cook it as low and slow as you can, and I promise, it will be the best boar you've eaten! Seriously, we did this to two boars (butchered into parts), and had a party for about 60 boar eaters/hunters. They went nuts for the food!

As a note, we reserved the loins and tenderloins, and rubbed and grilled direct. (though those parts also took part in the complete brining process) Same with the ribs...brined, but since the boar is so lean, we cooked them indirect, but not for long.

Hope this helps!

I couldnt have described it any better than eggzlot!! he's right on!!:thumb:

If done right you my friend are in for a real treat. Wild is so much sweeter than domestic pig.

Thanks guys . The boar has not been brined and tomorrow is the party so we will see how it turns out . I got a case of st louis ribs to smoke so hopefully some of it will turn out ok .

I gotta ask this:icon_blush:, sorry. You are talking intact, male, wild hogs, right? Reason I ask is because we don't cook them. We do cook wild gilts, sows, and bars though. Boars seem a bit strong.

Back