Brethren Only Comp 'Willie-Pallooza'

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Willie-Pallooza 2007, a Brethren only bbq contest, will be held on July 21st and 22nd.

Set up will commence at 5:00pm on Saturday.

The event will be held at 222 Fifth Avenue, Bayshore, NY.

All 12 competitor slots have been spoken for. They will be confirmed upon payment. If payment is not received by June 1, the slot will be reopened for other competitors.

The categories will be ribs, brisket, pork and chicken. Cash prizes will be awarded.

Confirmed as competitors and volunteers for the judging area are:

COMPETITORS:

I Like Smoke and Lightning
Primal Meat Smokers
Q-Haven
Brothers in Smoke
Smoke in da Eye
The Anchormen
The Swamp Pit
Babylon GrillBillies
Team Big Barry (Barry Poppins)
The Croatian Sensation
Team Backyard Chef
Cues Your Daddy

JUDGES:

Wes
Vinny
Michelle
Guy
Gary
Sean Keever
Eric
DJ Marko
Walter Ejnes

There will be a Saturday evening informal judging class.

Event handbooks are available upon request from saberinc@optonline.net

Judging software is needed. If anyone has software that they can offer, please contact me asap.

There will be a communal breakfast Sunday morning.

Please let me know if you need information on local hotels/motels.

If anyone is interested in attending from out of the area, please let me know and I will be happy to help with information on airports and trains.

Lot assignments (20*20) are being assigned now on a first come, first serve basis. Willie B, Poobah and Barry Poppins have their lots assigned.

If interested, you can get a great view of the comp area via Google Earth.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. More importantly, please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Eric

Do you all know if the two LI-based judges Vinny, Sled and I met last weekend reached out about judging?

I need a spot too. Preferably away from BYC. He cheats.

Do you all know if the two LI-based judges Vinny, Sled and I met last weekend reached out about judging?

I need a spot too. Preferably away from BYC. He cheats.

Are you referring to the 2 judges at Pork in the Park? I am one of them and I have already contacted Eric about judging (my friend Mike as well). I also put together a spreadsheet similar to the one used by KCBS that automatically tallies the weighted scores, dropping the lowest, etc. - I read on an earlier posting that you guys needed one. Who should I send that to?

Walter

Welcome Walter !!! Yes.. Clint is referring to you and Mike ... You met the three of us in Salisbury...

(When ya gonna check into Cattle Call ??)

I received the software. Thank you! I'll mess around with it this weekend to familiarize myself.

Eric

What time is judging? I'm trying to decide if I can be there or not, either to judge if judges are needed, or to help cook if anyone wants the help.

What time is judging? I'm trying to decide if I can be there or not, either to judge if judges are needed, or to help cook if anyone wants the help.

You're welcome to come join me and Wine&Swine. Love to have you!

Hello!

Quick question for you experienced judges.

Willy-Pallooza will have 12 competitors.

Would the following be reasonable for volunteers in the judging area?

2 tables of 6 judges each
2 table captains
2 volunteers for recording data, numbering containers, general assistance

Total of 16 people.

Does this sound right? And is that a reasonable ratio? 1 general volunteer per 6 judges to keep things flowing?

Thanks,

Eric

Hello!

2 tables of 6 judges each
2 table captains
2 volunteers for recording data, numbering containers, general assistance

Total of 16 people.

Does this sound right? And is that a reasonable ratio? 1 general volunteer per 6 judges to keep things flowing?

Thanks,

Eric

This sound right. The 2 volunteers should be responsible for the turn in table, relabel the turn-in containers and hand them to the table captains who will bring them to the judges.

Besides the table captains, there are usually KCBS reps on hand who run the show and coordinate the turn-in volunteers. They are also the ones that the captains go to in case of any controversy or issue that may lead to disqualification (pooling, object in food, wrong type of garnish in container, etc.). Since this is not a sanctioned event, you might just give the captains this level of authority. I would recommend making the most experienced of the judges Captains in this case.

Walter

You guys will also need judging slips and placemats. Unless someone can get their hands on real KCBS slips and placemats, we can probably design something easily. Just need to get enough printed for the competition.

You guys will also need judging slips and placemats. Unless someone can get their hands on real KCBS slips and placemats, we can probably design something easily. Just need to get enough printed for the competition.

Good point. I would prefer to use a facsimile, as using the KCBS materials for a non-KCBS event might tick someone off.

I'll check with Willie and see what he has to say.

Eric

Back