Sirloin Tip Roast- Suggestions?

boatnut

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm thawing out a sirloin tip roast that i "found" in the freezer...only been in about 7 months. I'm thinking putting a rub on it then smoking at a bit higher temp..like 275. Take to an internal of 135 or so then foil and cooler for an hour? I prefer my roasts medium but kids and wife probably medium well. I figure i can nuke theres in the microwave if they want it less pink. I'll probably slice the rest on with my electric slicer and have "shaved " roast beef for sandwiches.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

Those roasts can go by a few names, ball tip, sirloin tip or just tip roast, and you are right they generally need roasting temperatures. I use an indirect set-up an cook temps around 350°, and I don't sear first. Injecting with a beef broth based liquid is an option too if you are worried about not enough moisture. I also pull around 135° and rest in foil.

For fixing the slices that are too rare, try a little butter in a hot skillet. It won't take any time at all (one flip) and the butter adds a little moisture and flavor. My micro gives meat a rubbery texture.

Back