how to sanitize my brineing container ??

Trunks

Take a breath!
Reaction score
look to brine my my turkey but have to sanitize my big Gatorade cooler? how do i go about doing this? i know to use unscented bleach just not sure how much vs water

please advise!!!

thanks guys

If you don't want to use bleach, go to a home brew shop and get some StarSan. It is a food grade sanitizer.

I use StarSan, largely because I am a home brewer. However, even easier is to go buy a oven bag large enough for your turkey, and brine in the bag. There are many food grade...I see I got beat to this anwswer

I just rinse with water and go with that.

Other, safer, people would probably suggest getting some of that spray Clorox kitchen cleaner, spraying the inside down and waiting 10 minutes before rinsing well.

Use some dish washing liquid soap to wash it first and then use the sanitizer.

Where can I get starsan?? By to,or roe so have to go to a store. Does rest depot have it? If not do they have a any bags I can use?
Thanks

Unscented household bleach solution a tablespoon per gallon soak for 10 minutes. It's cheap & it works.:grin:

If you have a Bed Bath and Beyond in your area, they sell turkey brining bags in their stores. They are extra heavy duty with a zip lock end, and are big enough for the largest turkey you might want to put in there. They cost about $5 here in GA. I may try and save mine for another use later. Washed it out real good and dried it and then set it out in the sunshine draped over a chair back to air and dry for a couple of days. There is no smell so I think it will be good to use again. I did wash it with a diluted bleach solution and dish washing soap follow up.

Blessings,

Omar

wish i could find starsan today on long island but cant find it , so the unscented bleach is the reg bleach or is it different then teh standard beach i have at home? never noticed a unscented 1 ?

Back