• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What's cookin' for Thanksgiving...besides turkey?

qnbiker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Just picked up a 16lb packer brisket to cook for Thanksgiving. Anybody else smoking something besides turkey this week?

Cured a ham last week, smoked it yesterday, smoking it again on Thurs.

Gotta have a little bacon with breakfast!

photo-1751.jpg

photo-1335.jpg

Ham! Always have Ham! I'll be Smoking Turkeys while Mom Inlaw Bakes a Smoked Ham.
Oh and Gotta have Broccoli Caserole.

Cured a ham last week, smoked it yesterday, smoking it again on Thurs.

Gotta have a little bacon with breakfast!

photo-1751.jpg

photo-1335.jpg

Is that the same cure that we've done before? The Brian Polcyn one from "Charcuterie"?

Love that ham recipe....

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Is that the same cure that we've done before? The Brian Polcyn one from "Charcuterie"?

Love that ham recipe....

I do like that recipe - except I would inject rather than just brine next time. This one is off of the "amazing ribs" site. A little bit pulled off when I removed the net last night, and I think it may be a little salty. In retrospect, I should have paid attention to the fact that the cure was only pink salt and k salt, no sugar or dextrose or anything like that.

I was thinking saltiness might be an issue when I fried a test slice before smoking, so I soaked it out overnight before smoking - which, for such a big piece of meat (around 21# pre-smoke) probably won't make much of a difference, but I had to smoke it yesterday regardless. It doesn't seem super-crazy-over-the-top salty, but notable nonetheless - we'll see. I like - actually love - the salty country hams, but this ain't that.

Venison backstraps for an appetizer....also smoking a stuffed sausage with goat cheese, thyme, basel, sage, and red peppers for the football games.

I am doing a couple of tri-tips along with three turkeys, smoked deviled eggs, and some bread. The moms and grandmas are doing most of the sides.

I am doing beer cheese bread and pig shots for appetizers on turkey day. Main course i am smoking a brisket while my wife does the turkey.

Tonight I am smoking a 7lb pork butt for dinner tomorrow with friends. going to be a great week of eating.

Back