• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hey Judges - Pork Rule

Mustang Sally

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all you judges out there. It's a couple months into the contest season with the new pork rule. I'm curious if you've seen major changes in the way pork is presented. When the rule was changed there was lots of talk about how different things would be. I've talked with some cooks who said they aren't changing a thing while others say they do plan on tweeking a little. What have you experienced?

I have found that there is more money muscle being turned in than previously was the case. Typically there would be one portion of sliced MM, but this year I have seen entries with 2 or 3 of them, and less pulled/chunks

My pork box looks the same as it did at the end of last year. It's just easier to cook and, hopefully, a bit better because of the new rule.

think I'm seeing less and less pulled pork--only one sample today--rest was all chunks and medallions

@ BBQ Tom. Did the rep see it?
Even with the new rule it would be difficult to achieve that.

I haven't tried it, but I can think of a couple of ways it would be possible to do it within the rules. I think both would have a very acceptable result.

That brings up another point: if the rep questioned it, would the team be obliged to tell the rep how they cooked it? Or would, 'we did not separate until it was 145 deg.' suffice?

@BMerrill - It's not that difficult. :)

nbew3l.jpg

Except that doesn't account for bark on the face of the slices.

I'm really surprised I'm not hearing more about pork burnt ends. It seems like it would be a great idea, but I'm afraid to do it if it's out of the norm too much.

I'm really surprised I'm not hearing more about pork burnt ends. It seems like it would be a great idea, but I'm afraid to do it if it's out of the norm too much.

We cooked them at home once and really liked them so we made them at a comp with the intention of turning them in. In the moment, we decided against it because we were not 100% sure on the tenderness, and we weren't sure how it would be regarded in the box. It was to our benefit to only put in our best as we ended up in 9th in Bainbridge with that last minute decision. We would like to readdress the idea, but we just haven't figured out how to get it to the same level as the rest of our turn in meat yet.

???
call me crazy for asking but what's a pork burn end?

???
call me crazy for asking but what's a pork burn end?
Like a brisket burnt end, but pork. It would take some figuring out where to get the best pork from, but I would cook til almost ready, cube, sauce/rub, put back on smoker til tender.

I haven't even tried it in practice yet but it seems like a great way to replace "chunks."

Back