picking out competition spare ribs

I'll take any advice that any one wants to get haha. I've looked at victorinox knife. Ive said that's the next knife I buy... I just bought a 5.5 inch Kershaw boning knife last week for 10 bucks. Honestly the best ten bucks is ever spent haha. I had no clue what I was missing out on with a boning knife.

I'm really lucky and I thank the big man upstairs that I got first in ribs. I was starting to panic over the doneness then the bones... I was lucky to get the ribs in the box. I had conceded the fact that my ribs sucked. I wanted to put 8 ribs in the box but was lucky to get 6.

Here's a pretty good example of decent ribs I picked up today based on how the meat looked and not on bone straightness. I used to feel up the ribs to find the bone direction, but I don't feel them at all anymore. I was lucky today and they had both 4 packs and 2 packs so I of course go through the 2 packs because I can see the meat side of both rack and not have 2 surprise racks inside. Even if I have to choose a 4 pack it doesn't bother me.

This is pretty good marbling and from the meat side is can be difficult to see the bones, though you can get a general idea of the direction.

You can see the bones here from the bottom view, but I put some toothpicks down as a visual. Both racks actually look much worse from the bottom :becky:. The bottom rack starts turning pretty quick and almost hit a 45 degree angle. The top rack starts straight really for 4 bones and the violently starts not just bones that begin to angle, but dreaded "J" bones. Start the dramatic "dun dun dunnnnnnnnnn" music :-D. I still have zero issue with the rack above. Sure I'd love dead straight bones, but if you cut them upside down you can see where to cut. Even with J bones.
IMAG1511_zps7mlm1yaj.jpg

Thanks Jason for the visual. I bought my ribs from bi lo they were Smithfield ribs. Im going to be talking to a local Butcher and see what he would do for me with ribs and other meats. So do you sauce before you cut or sauce after?

BBQ is starting to take over my life haha!

Most people sauce anywhere from 30-60 minutes prior to taking them off the cooker. This gives the sauce a chance to set. I typically do it about 30 minutes before I take them off.

Once they are off, I flip them over and cut from the backside like mentioned above. Then turn them back over, select the ribs I want for the box and apply a bit more sauce to glaze the ribs.

Last edited:
I'm really lucky and I thank the big man upstairs that I got first in ribs. I was starting to panic over the doneness then the bones... I was lucky to get the ribs in the box. I had conceded the fact that my ribs sucked. I wanted to put 8 ribs in the box but was lucky to get 6.

Remember this when you turn in "the best freaking ribs I ever tasted - totally AWESOME!!!" ... And end up in the bottom quarter and start cussing the judges. You just never know .... :crazy:

Back