• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

LI Event Entry Fee -Input Needed

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

Let's assume that there is an event coming up where YOU can dictate the entry fee. The only catch is that the prize $ is coming out of that entry fee.

The range could be from $0.00 to $250.00.

There would be other ancillary prizes, such as trophies/medals.

What would you choose as the entry fee?

This would be a full BBQ contest that was a NY State Championship.

Eric

BTW, this is a lot less hypothetical than I may have intimated.

I think you should put it at least $100/150. Gives some sort of payout to those that win. You have to look at the teams on L.I. That are chasing the dream, big payouts etc.. (some are doing quite well) my team is not one of those, but we still like to compete. There many teams out here that would probably do it especially If it fit with the calendar.we would do it if it did.

250. Merrimack has one of the lowest entry fees in the area, and the smallest prize pool. You know what people think of that. Beating 40 teams in a category to win 20 bucks? Meh. Entry fee is the lowest expense of a competition, make it worth our while.

I think 200-250 is fair. That gets you a prize pool of between 5-8k in prize money. I am assuming u will be able to get 25 teams minimum which seems fairly easy on long island. I am also in favor of calls down to 10th place. Even tho it's only a ribbon, for some teams it feels good to hear your name, especially the new teams and hell, I think it's pretty cool to.

I think $200 is pretty fair. Not sure if you're considering a 20 X 20 with an up charge for larger sites as is the case with most contests in the area. If supplying water and electric (for that price) the utilities have to be reliable even at that price. Many established teams can operate without a contest supplying it, but newer teams are at a significant disadvantage if there are water and electric issues. That truly makes it a fair playing field. This may be getting too far into it, but that's how I roll. Matt
...I agree with Paul. The 1st-10th place calls is key. The more opportunities to get a call, the better.

$200-250 is acceptable. Then potential prize pool is worth the effort and cost of the meat. (hell... I'd do it for no prize pool :grin:)

I agree with the $200-$250, maybe more if you need a larger space, if you provide water/electric, etc. Cost of meats and supplies, hauling gear, etc - it is just nice for a chance to win a few bucks to help reduce your cost of supplies if you get a top 5 call or two.

As others said, otherwise, let's do a charity cook - which is fine by me, but that is more of a party/bash for a good cause.

If meats were supplied through a sponsor I'd be ok with a lower entry cost and lower pay outs - but that is likely a pipe dream. And personally, I'd rather select my own meats, but to each his own.

i think with it being a state championship you could try a $0 entry fee. you may get a different caliber of teams than the ones that can regularly expect a GC or RGC and take home $2500, but a reduced fixed cost of $200-$250 for a comp would be intriguing.

If I am reading your post right, I would elect $200-$250. If I am going to spend the weekend competing, then I don't think I would pass on the chance to win prize money by low balling the entry fee.

I suppose if I lived in a region that had more comps, thus stretching my dollars, I might select $0, but up here there just aren't enough comps to get overly concerned with the entry fee.

Im glad YOU all understand the questions, cause i dont git it.

fees around here are usually 200-250, so whats the question?

Also, most of these contests have minimal sponsorships, so the bulk of the entry fees goes into the prize pool anyway(manorville only subtracts the KCBS fees).

as far as paying to 10th place, im good with paying $$ to 5th, and medals to 10th.

if your offfering to let teams dictate their OWN entry fee. pffffttt.

After reading Phil's post, which I couldn't understand why he was confused, I finally see his confusion. There has to be a minimum entry fee starting point to cover costs, unless those will be covered. So I guess additional info is needed as to what your minimum costs will be.

100% of the entry fee would be going back to the teams as cash.

Other event related costs would hypothetically be covered by the organizers.

If the entry fee were $0.00 you would have an event with trophies and no prize pool. If the entry fee was $250.00, you'd have trophies and a (relatively) great prize pool. Amounts between them would scale how rich a prize pool and how expensive an entry.

Eric

I would also agree with a $200-250 entry fee and calls to 10th if there are at least 20 teams.

Another option could be a smaller general fee and maybe alternate comps running close or at same time (ex. people choice, chefs choice, chili). then the teams that want to potentially win more money can do so by entering additional categories

100% of the entry fee would be going back to the teams as cash.

Other event related costs would hypothetically be covered by the organizers.

If the entry fee were $0.00 you would have an event with trophies and no prize pool. If the entry fee was $250.00, you'd have trophies and a (relatively) great prize pool. Amounts between them would scale how rich a prize pool and how expensive an entry.

Eric

if you could have secondary sponsors cover the costs for the teams, then have a main sponsor put up say $2000 for a grand champion, and $500 for RGC, it could get interesting. You can announce the prize money as part of the marketing of the event to attract the attention of the public while having rookie and out of town teams show up.

Prize money does add a degree of seriousness to an event.

Back