Barbecued Sweet Potato Pie

PatioDaddio

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
SweetPotatoPie_1_5.jpg

Yes, you read that right, it's a barbecued sweet potato pie. It's not barbecued because I cooked the whole pie in the smoker -- just the sweet potatoes for the filling.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I conducted an experiment, and this is it. In reality, the idea for this pie is what sparked the earlier recipe.

Despite sounding odd, the results were very good. The pie is very rich and has a subtle smokey flavor. It's so subtle that I think some might not even notice. It's just a standard sweet potato pie recipe, aside from the barbecued potatoes.

Ingredients
2 Deep dish pie crusts
3 cups barbecued sweet potatoes, mashed.
4 ounces Unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cup Milk
3/4 cup Sweetened condensed milk
1 cup Granulated sugar
4 Eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/4 tsp Vanilla extract (the real deal, please)

Method
Preheat your oven to 350º.

Put the potatoes and the milk in a food processor and process until it is very smooth.

Add the butter, condensed milk, sugar, eggs and vanilla to the food processor and pulse a few times to combine.

Note: You need the mixture to be the consistency of a milkshake. If it's too thick, add more milk as needed.

Pour half of the filling into each pie shell.

Bake the pies on the middle rack for one hour, or until each is set in the center.

Cool and serve at room temperature, with whipped cream, of course.

Enjoy

Okay, okay... so years later ...I wake up and John is standing right over me,my face is bleeding and Dawson is smackin me left and right... I wake up... and I look up and say, "hey! I thought I told you.. the PBC is nuthin' but a smaller UDS!"\

Good to see you back John.

0b1e50678ec20876893af0c0435732f1.jpg

[ame]https://youtu.be/fPrt-7It-i4[/ame]

That really sounds and looks too good to be true. Sweet potato pie is my favorite.

60542921.jpg

Hopefully you will be updating your website as well. Enough of the sausage fest for the past year :grin:

I've only come out of the self-imposed BBQ Witness Protection Program to lend a minimal helping hand for Thanksgiving.

John

So I gave this a whirl this weekend, and was very pleased with the results. There is just the tiniest hint of smoke, and overall it's a pretty sweet pie. I'd definitely do it again.

Oh, and the smoked sweet potatoes by themselves were pretty darn good too. A nice blend of sweet/savory.

So I gave this a whirl this weekend, and was very pleased with the results. There is just the tiniest hint of smoke, and overall it's a pretty sweet pie. I'd definitely do it again.

Oh, and the smoked sweet potatoes by themselves were pretty darn good too. A nice blend of sweet/savory.

I'm glad to hear that it worked well for you.

John

Dang. I'll have to keep this for next time. The last 3 years I have used John's ultimate turkey brine recipe. That is hands down the business. Each year, someone who hasn't had my turkey always comments on how flavorful it is and how the flavor goes all the way through the meat.

Back