• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bacon seasonings....

I just threw some into a wet brine last night. Prague Powder, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Brown Sugar, and Ghost Pepper.

-Alden

Get enough of your favorite rub to season your meat add sufficient curing salt for the weight of your meat, then wrap tightly in cling wrap, cure 7 days in fridge, smoke, cool, cook, eat! An endless variety of flavones are available if you like the method.

I ordered some of this over the weekend. Free shipping through today.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/Maple-Ham-Bacon-Cure-2-lbs-p/11-1110.htm

11-1110-2.jpg

The Sausage Maker has great pre-mixes as "Porcine Perfection" indicated.
Rytek Kutas who wrote "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" was a co-founder of this business and helped to develop these mixes.

Also for the beginner Bass Pro Shops sells Hi Mountain bacon kits.

Both are proven over years of use and they take all the guess work out of weighing and measuring and you can add other flavorings if you like.

Last edited:
I really liked my last thyme, garlic and bay leaf bacon. Have seen suggestions on here to try fenugreek so that will be part of the next one I think.

I've used that sausagemaker.com maple cure and it didn't flavor the bacon at all. I've also tried this one http://www.lemproducts.com/product/backwoods-maple-bacon-cure/bacon-ham-seasoning and the LEM pepper cure with the same, zero added flavor, results. A professional chef friend tasted the bacon cured with the LEM maple and the LEM pepper and couldn't taste any difference.

All three cures were applied per recipe, wrapped in cling wrap, and kept in the fridge for a week before cold smoking.

I've used that sausagemaker.com maple cure and it didn't flavor the bacon at all. I've also tried this one http://www.lemproducts.com/product/backwoods-maple-bacon-cure/bacon-ham-seasoning and the LEM pepper cure with the same, zero added flavor, results. A professional chef friend tasted the bacon cured with the LEM maple and the LEM pepper and couldn't taste any difference.

All three cures were applied per recipe, wrapped in cling wrap, and kept in the fridge for a week before cold smoking.

Did you have skin on the pork belly or was it removed?

I trust you also turned the product at least once daily?

Finished the 32 hours of cold smoke today. Cured using TQ/BS. Tablespoon of each per pound. Was surprised with the test fry....0 salt flavor. Gave it a light dusting of freshly ground smoked black pepper....want to see if less is more. Weight was a touch over 3 pounds. Til we find something that we both really like we are going to keep theveryone slabs small.
On a side note....cured some pork loin with Hy Mountains cure. Test fry was tasty. Added nothing prior to starting the cold smoke. Going to hit it with 32 hours of smoke as well. From what I understand "Canadian Bacon" is not smoked traditionally but.....
I will be trying some of the spicesalt mentioned above....
Thanks folks....

Wow, No answer for you except maybe the spices in the mix were old....
I dunno either. Both vendors' kits were purchased fresh, so if they were old it was from sitting on the vendor shelves. The bacon I've made is great and everyone is crazy about it, but it's kind of disappointing being promised the maple (or pepper/LEM) flavor and to get essentially nothing.

I dunno either. Both vendors' kits were purchased fresh, so if they were old it was from sitting on the vendor shelves. The bacon I've made is great and everyone is crazy about it, but it's kind of disappointing being promised the maple (or pepper/LEM) flavor and to get essentially nothing.

I agree it would be disappointing....

Even with kits for bacon, one could still add additional fresh cracked black pepper on the bacon hoping the oils from fresh cracked pepper would penetrate the belly during the cure. Also adding fresh cracked black pepper before smoking would also help.

For maple flavor, many kits use maple flavoring, you could add real maple sugar as you rub your cure in, or add it prior to going into the smoker. Also try adding freshly cracked fenugreek seed with the cure, this produces a maple like flavor as well.

Yeah. You and I discussed this in an earlier thread and you suggested real maple sugar or syrup. Someone else in that thread also suggested that the big molecules probably wouldn't penetrate, so the commercial maple bacon probably just had the flavoring on the surface. I might try painting the bacon with syrup before or during the smoke next time I do bacon. I just did 11# though,which is probably keep us going for this winter.

Back