UDS thermometer ??

Kokonutjc

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hello all....newbie here :)
Building my UDS and I'm searching for thermometer what is a good brand and where can u find them online ?

Thanks in advance !!

Jeff

River Country on Amazon, I like a longer stem so it reaches further into the middle but that's personal preference.

I prefer the tel-tru, just google it and you will find several places that sell them, I think i bought mine from kbcs or something like that

Another vote for Tel-Tru. A little pricey but very accurate.

I have given up on analog thermometers on my UDS cooks and builds.

I only use the digital Mavericks now and place the probes directly under the meat on each grate.

I had analogs, but got a Maverick ET-733 for Chrissie and that's all I'll use now.

River Country!! Add 25deg to what the reading is to get an accurate grate temp regardless of what fixed stem thermo you get. UDS's run cooler to the out side than the middle.

River Country!! Add 25deg to what the reading is to get an accurate grate temp regardless of what fixed stem thermo you get. UDS's run cooler to the out side than the middle.

What if you are using a heat shield?

I have a big 5" Tel-Tru on my cabinet. Those things are $100-$120 but man are they nice. I just bought some River Country's 2 of the RC-T5 (5") for $35 each and one of the RC-T3 (3") for $17. They are adjustable and I have never heard anyone complain about them. The 2 bigger ones are for my offset and my jimmy, the smaller one is for my mini. My mavericks and my HeaterMeter work really good but I still like to have a thermo on my cookers. They just look odd without one. Analogs make good backups in case your electronic devices fail.

Last edited:
i have a tru-tel on my drum, but about the only thing i use it for is a hangar for my maverick. i'll skip an analog gauge all together if i build another one.

I have a cheap one I bought at the local HD on mine, and only use it as an estimate. I know the differential from my Maverick, so I can pretty much know close enough what the grate temp is. I also have a cheap $5 or $6 turkey therm that slides just under the grate which gives me about 20* difference from the Maverick. I just use them as a quick check, and they are close enough for most cooks. If you know within 20 or 30* of the actual grate temperature, then you have enough information to have a successful cook.

On a UDS, close is close enough.

Omar

Only Pussy Katz use a heat shield:p:laugh: I have no Idea never needed one.

Haha good one BD!:blah::becky:

I'm the opposite of some you guys, I don't trust electronics. I went through 2 Mavericks back to back, neither one of them acted right. I've had a couple probes go bad on a stoker I used to have, now have the same issue with my pitmaster IQ. Never had a problem with a decent analog thermometer. I place it near the grate and don't think twice about it if it's really off 10* degrees.

Haha good one BD!:blah::becky:

I'm the opposite of some you guys, I don't trust electronics. I went through 2 Mavericks back to back, neither one of them acted right. I've had a couple probes go bad on a stoker I used to have, now have the same issue with my pitmaster IQ. Never had a problem with a decent analog thermometer. I place it near the grate and don't think twice about it if it's really off 10* degrees.

Sounds like electronics don't like you:laugh: I would swear off them too if all of mine failed like yours.

If u are building a uds u might be like me and a tel-tru would be against your religion. I just use whatever is cheap at lowes or Wally World but I check them in boiling water to see they are close to the correct temp.

Back