Waygu NY Steak

el_matt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I got a 1lb steak yesterday. I trimmed it into two medallions. Cooked it in a cast iron skillet, lubricated with trimmed fat, and butter. Cooked to medium rare. Seasoned with SPOG. It was really tasty, just not sure it was worth the price.

I have been wanting to try Waygu, for some time. The price was always the big turn off. I was paid for a job, I didn't expect to get paid for, so I said, "Why not?". There is a local boutique grocer, that carries a well known brand of Waygu. They had NY's, for $32 per pound. I grabbed 1 steak. Went home, trimmed, seasoned, and allowed it to acclimate. Cooked them on the Treager, in a cast iron skillet. I let them rest, in the microwave. Then it was time to eat.

Wife made Brussel sprouts and bacon, and I also made some drumettes, seasoned with Bovine Bold. We dove into the food. Chicken was slightly over cooked, but still tasty. Sprouts were amazing, even though I'm still trying to like them. The NY, on the other hand...

Absolutely delicious. The whole thing was on point. Quite possibly, the best steaks I've cooked. As I was enjoying this delicious meat, I was reminded of a whisky tasting with a friend/distiller. We sampled a bottle of 25 year Glenlivet. As tasty as it was, we both agreed that the less expensive 18 year, was better. We also find Johnnie Walker Green, better than Blue.

Was it just me, that didn't find Waygu, worth the price?

Matt

No, it's definitely not just you. I will say that it also depends on the Wagyu. Not all are created equal. I have had some that are mouthwateringly delicious and I have had others that I would not be able to distinguish from a good choice cut (not even prime :tsk:). As far as the whisky goes, that's also subjective. When we get a new bottle, my wife and I often do a blind taste testing. It's surprising what good finds we can find. We buy the cheapest first and move our way up.

I’d have to agree with you. I had some olive a5 wagyu and yes it was good, but it wasn’t mind blowing good and out of this world better than Midwestern corn fed prime beef. I can’t even remember the cost...$130/lb or so? I bought a couple steaks for like 300 when I tried it. For the money, I’ll take Midwestern prime every time...especially at those prices

As a parallel to your bourbon example, I have to say that with regards to red wine, you usually get what you pay for...ie $50 bottles are generally far better than $20 bottles and $100-$200 bottles are better than $50 etc etc. I’m always trying to find a banging $20-$30 bottle, but my cellar is full of the higher end bottles as they just taste better to us:).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Costco here in Austin has A5 Waygu strip and ribeye steaks in 2 packs, both selling for $99/lb. That is about $190 per package. I can't bring myself to buy them due to the price. I'd rather hunt and peck in the regular grocery store meat isles looking for mis-labled bargain steaks. I picked up a denver steak from whole foods that was underpriced by a mile a few weeks ago. That was an awesome feed that only cost me $3 for about a 10 oz beautifully marbled steak. The meat packaging people make plenty of mistakes that are in my favor.

I find Waygu way to rich, maybe because we eat a lot of Grass fed , I dont know.
Steak and Brisket I have tried

Question for wagyu experts...I thought true Wagyu was only raised in Japan according to their strict guidelines and all others being sold her in America are cross bread with angus or other? True or no? The olive a5 I had was sourced straight from Japan...I’ve had American Wagyu crossed with angus ribeyes (??? Whatever that’s called??) and for me, it was too rich and oily...bust strangely i didn’t think that of the olive Wagyu I had? Maybe because the olive Wagyu was a smaller portion?? Who knows...I’ll just stick with Midwestern prime I guess:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Waygu is American and can be crossed with other breeds or straight bred. Grade is everything. I like prime beef better than Waygu.

Kobe is the Japanese beef.

I had a piece of Kobe once It had so much marbling that it felt like butter It was amazing taste Not sure I would pay for it again

Back