Recommend a wireless thermometer

ttkt57

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I got up this morning at 3:00 AM to check on my new pellet cooker. It's an unproven unit, especially when it's way below freezing outside, so I thought it worth heading downstairs, throwing on a parka, and checking on my first overnight cook with it.

OK, yeah, I don't want to do that anymore! so I've decided to get a wireless thermometer.

Requirements:

1. It monitors cooker temp and meat temp (maybe two meat temp probes)
2. It sends a signal to a unit in my bedroom
3. It has a readout I can see without my glasses and (hopefully) without turning on the bedroom light and waking my wife

Not needed:

1. Ability to track cooks, print out graphs, store and dial back in a previous cook
2. Ability to adjust temps remotely
4. Recipes

So bring on the recommendations. Thanks!

I like the Thermoworks Smoke. The handheld unit you take with you has a backlight you can turn on that's not extremely bright.

I've been happy with my Meater+

Pretty simple
Ambient Temp and Meat Temp in one
App is simple to use and easy to read.
meater-probe-anatomy-1024x658.jpg

Thermoworks Signals. I've had about 6 cooks with it and it works great. You can use Bluetooth or WiFi to send once a minute updates to your phone. It's easy to change the alarm settings from your phone (e.g. change the range or turn the alarm on or off).

I have recently got a Fireboard 2. I got the drive model that can control a fan, but you can get the standard model that is just a thermometer. It has the ability to hook up to six probes plus a pit temp reader (Comes with the pit temp reader and 2 meat probes). It probably does more than you need, but it is really simple to use. It works with a cell phone so you do need to pair it up and hook it to WiFi. It literally was the easiest WiFi hookup device I have ever done. You also download an app from with the Android or Apple store on your phone.

The controls are very intuitive. With as much as it does, it almost seems to simple to use. It gives you freedom and piece of mind. Go on that mountain hike, and you can keep track of your pork butt.

I also have a simple two piece thermometer that has two food ports. The base sits next to the pit and then a receiver you can bring with you. It seems like it should be easier to use than the Fireboard, but it is not. Many more steps to remember to set it up. If an alarm goes off it starts beeping at you annoyingly and I have always had issues turning off the beeps and remembering how to set these alarms in the first place. I guess I may run into some stuff with the Fireboard that I dislike, but right now, it seems about perfect.

Last edited:
I have recently got a Fireboard 2. I got the drive model that can control a fan, but you can get the standard model that is just a thermometer. It has the ability to hook up to six probes plus a pit temp reader (Comes with the pit temp reader and 2 meat probes). It probably does more than you need, but it is really simple to use. It works with a cell phone so you do need to pair it up and hook it to WiFi. It literally was the easiest WiFi hookup device I have ever done. You also download an app from with the Android or Apple store on your phone.

The controls are very intuitive. With as much as it does, it almost seems to simple to use. It gives you freedom and piece of mind. Go on that mountain hike, and you can keep track of your pork butt.

I also have a simple two piece thermometer that has two food ports. The base sits next to the pit and then a receiver you can bring with you. It seems like it should be easier to use than the Fireboard, but it is not. Many more steps to remember to set it up. If an alarm goes off it starts beeping at you annoyingly and I have always had issues turning off the beeps and remembering how to set these alarms in the first place. I guess I may run into some stuff with the Fireboard that I dislike, but right now, it seems about perfect.

I concur. I tried the Maverick and the Smoke options before I went Fireboard. Annoyingly, I bought the first version 3 months before the new one. But, it was much more intuitive and doesn't sit outside beeping nonstop. I get clear and concise alerts on my phone. While I can't read much without my glasses, in the middle of the night I can look at the phone and make out that 'fireboard' is alerting me, and that's enough to know I need to get action.

Since I get all teched out, it does all the things you don't want. I get great logs so I can look a month later and go "nope, don't have time for burnt ends, they seem to take 8 hours and I only have 6" I get the alerts to the phone when I'm at the grocery store or dog park. I can keep the tablet up and displaying real time logs and have the website or watch to look at if I'm not near that thing.

I'll throw another vote out for the Fireboard. I was a Kickstarter backer of the project and upgraded to a Fireboard 2 Drive this past summer. My Fireboards have been rock solid. The best thing I like about them is that the alerts can be configured so many ways and set to repeat. Since I'm a heavy sleeper, I can set it to have a push alert with sound and send me a text, then keep repeating every 10-15 minutes.

For a long time, the Thermoworks stuff was way behind, especially from an app and alert point of view. I think they've closed the gap now, but I plan to stick with my Fireboard. The probes have been durable and accurate and always match my ThemoPen/Pops for readings.

Last edited:
Semi-related question. As long as the plug/jack connection is compatible, are probes interchangeable among brands?

Semi-related question. As long as the plug/jack connection is compatible, are probes interchangeable among brands?

Probes are based upon resistance, so some are interchangeable if they are the same type (I think there's thermocouple and thermosister) and resistance.

I'm a big fan of the Smoke, I have the new Smoke X4. I love it for the exact opposite reasons that Justin loves his fireboard. I end up cooking in areas without wifi or reliable wifi and don't want to have to rely on that for a signal. I also don't want alerts on my phone, because when you have grease covered gloves on your hand, a phone beeping alerts in your pocket is a bear to get to. I just keep the smoke's receiver around my neck and hit one button to silence it or to turn the backlight on to check the temperature while inside in the dark. Range has been great and 0 issues with dropped connectivity. Couldn't be happier with it after 8 months of fairly heavy usage.

I'm a big fan of the Smoke, I have the new Smoke X4. I love it for the exact opposite reasons that Justin loves his fireboard. I end up cooking in areas without wifi or reliable wifi and don't want to have to rely on that for a signal. I also don't want alerts on my phone, because when you have grease covered gloves on your hand, a phone beeping alerts in your pocket is a bear to get to. I just keep the smoke's receiver around my neck and hit one button to silence it or to turn the backlight on to check the temperature while inside in the dark. Range has been great and 0 issues with dropped connectivity. Couldn't be happier with it after 8 months of fairly heavy usage.

I second this for the same reasons. Our internet is not the most reliable so I don't want anything that relies on wifi. The Smoke X4 is wonderful and way better than my regular smoke as far as reception goes.

Thanks for all the input, folks! I just ordered a ThermoWorks Smoke.

Here is another vote for the Thermoworks Smoke. Solid build. Very accurate. I have several Thermoworks products and I am very happy with them. The famous Thermoworks Thermapen is an indispensable device for every kitchen. My oldest pen is 7 years old and works like new.

The ThermoWorks Smoke arrived yesterday and I took it for a spin cooking some boneless thighs last night.

I like everything about it except for one little nitpick. When using only one probe it flashes "noP" endlessly. Does anybody know how to make this stop, or is it something you just have to live with?

Back