• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best use of a pork shoulder??

Greenm4ch1ne

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Ok so a friend and I got to talking about pork last night. He asked what my favorite use of pork shoulder was and I thought Id bring the discussion here. Ive made pulled pork sandwiches, carnitas, used it for nachos and lately im really thinking about making my own bacon but really and this might be sacreligious here but my answer was pork tamales. Then it reminded me i have 2 dozen frozen from the batch I made on christmas haha.

Attachments

• 20210117_115520.jpg
    20210117_115520.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 217
I've been thinking of slicing one up and making boneless ribs.

In the past have used the pulled pork for green chili stew, green enchiladas, pork hash, and my favorite cream pulled pork on toast

I LOVE pork steaks and I feel that too many people have never had one so they have no idea what they're missing. I'm also a very big fan of Char Siu (Cantonese or Chinese BBQ) and doing pork shoulder Char Siu skewers.

As reference here's a video by Malcom Reed (How to BBQ Right) for Pork Steaks :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRXhFktgMGM

And here's another of his videos with Char Siu...I prefer cutting the meat into smaller strips and grilling until I hit about 155° internal temp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZJu0HFOgk

Leftover pulled pork enchiladas are better than any other enchilada.

I’ve used pulled pork for chili with great results - I’ve also ground shoulder fresh and used it in chili, likewise turned out really good. And the obligatory sausage, both breakfast and regular links. Simmer it long enough with some spices and it makes awesome taco meat if I can’t find beef (or pork) neck bones.

Too many to list.Probably the most versatile cut of meat you can buy.Your tamales look mitee tastee.

Lately I've been carving off a couple of thick pork steaks - whatever I can get until I hit the bone. Then I take what's left and treat it as a small butt- or use it in green chili or.... lots of options with pork shoulder.

My favorite use for leftover pulled pork is loaded pulled pork potatoes. I’ll do a normal loaded baked potato with butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon, and chives, and then I add pulled pork and barbecue sauce on top. Can’t be beat!

I've been making sausage more than pulled pork lately with it. Your tamales look great. Tamales are great use of leftover pulled pork. Make a ton of them a couple times a year and freeze them. They freeze great. Gotta have a crew though. Making a ton on your own takes forever. You got to assembly line that.

Beer helps the time go by too....and you've got to make your own sauce to with it. How is it that there is no great enchilada/tamale sauce in the grocer? One of the reasons I had to get a mega-blender. Still can't believe what I paid for it. I have gear problems....:shocked:

Back