Phubar's Brisket Question

Having been on the receiving end of my fair share of pulled brisket, I will tell you that regardless of how well it is done, the automatic thought will be that you overcooked it. Also, if you turned in a box with those braids in it, regardless of your intent, I would consider that sculpted meat.

Dont do it Phube, especially over here with a them lots of unexperienced judges this is asking for trouble.

DM

As a judge with 14 years worth of bbq under my belt, I'm always happy to see something different! But I wouldn't try all pulled in the US, too many judges who have preconceived notions on what they should see in the box. However, with KCBS competitions being so new in Europe, your judges may be more open to original ideas, so over there I'd go for it and see what happens!

I was born in the Netherlands, live in TX now and would never, ever pull a brisket. IMHO = If it is overcooked, cube it up and turn it into Brisket Chili. Works every time and corrects the "stringy" problem.

i turned in pulled brisket this year at a comp because it was just to done it crumbled when i sliced it and scored in the middle of the pack of 35 teams and i would have been in the bottom 5 if i turned in sliced

We put some pulled brisket along with slices once and got a comment about pulled pork in with the brisket. If you can't tell the difference between pork and brisket, I'm thinking you shouldn't be judging. We haven't done it since.

You will achieve greater success coloring within the lines.

I know Big Bro...but the lines are a bit vague which makes it conPhusing where to colour within the lines.
I do understand the rules a bit because of you guys...ya'll have taught me well.

Im pretty certain any judge worth a chit is gonna mark it down.

Pulled = overcooked.

While it may be great in flavor and not bad to chew on it takes away any skill needed to cook a brisket to slicing tenderness.

So...you CAN turn in pulled brisket but when you turn it in pulled you automatically get bad grades because judges say it's overcooked?
How does one turn in pulled brisket if it ain't overcooked but cooked to the right temp and Pheel?
IMO pulled pork is overcooked as well but maybe I'm wrong.

So if a noob reads the KCBS rules about turning in brisket,turns in pulled brisket at a comp and gets bad grades...
Competitor will be like:"The tenderness/taste/appearance was good...what did I do wrong?"
Judges answer:"You turned in the brisket pulled"
Competitor:"But it's in the rules.

Shouldn't the rule be something like the ribs (it has to have the bone in)?
Example brisket rule: Turn in sliced or diced (not pulled)

Dont do it Phube, especially over here with a them lots of unexperienced judges this is asking for trouble.

DM

Don't worry Bruder.:thumb:
I don't like the whole idea of people taking a judging class for the Phirst time and be judging the day aPhter at a serious comp.
I like to have experienced judges to judge me...in serious competitions (sports etc.) you don't see inexperienced rePherees judging?

I wonder if this would be considered "marking" by the time you put 6 braids in a box that would be very close to that rule.

It's not about the braiding/"marking"...my point is,rules say you can turn in pulled brisket but most likely you get very bad grades according to judges and competitors.
Shouldn't the rules be adjusted so that people don't get get off on the wrong Phoot?

As a judge with 14 years worth of bbq under my belt, I'm always happy to see something different! But I wouldn't try all pulled in the US, too many judges who have preconceived notions on what they should see in the box. However, with KCBS competitions being so new in Europe, your judges may be more open to original ideas, so over there I'd go for it and see what happens!

Thanks J.!
You hit the nail on the head.
I guess people are more used to sliced and cubed brisket cause that's how they are used to getting it in BBQ joints.
It's not what's in the rules but what the majority people are used to?

Last edited:
Back