Strip Steak on PBC

Danado

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Another PBC question for all of you PBC people out there. I am going to attempt to cook strip steak tonight. The instructions state to grill as you normally would on the PBC. I am going to put the grates on and cook the steak with the lid off to increase the temperature. Has anyone attempted a steak on the PBC how did you do it? I don't want to leave the lid off and have it get so hot it warps the barrel.

I saw on PBC Facebook site that they recommend cooking steaks and burgers with the lid off. Good luck and be sure to post some pics.

I have tried steaks one time on my pbc, as my coals were lighting we got a small sprinkle of rain, so I had a hard time getting the temp hot enough to put a nice hard sear on the steaks, had the lid off and the vent wide open, will try again with hopefully no rain, the steaks did taste great however......

If you want to cook steaks like you do, I would load the PBC with 50% lump and let 'er rip till it's time to put the meat on with the lid off. There's no way that barrel will warp.

I tried Strip Steaks yesterday and cooked them with the lid on. Since I recently purchased the PBC I am still messing around finding a way to light it properly. I put 16 briquettes in a chimney, let them burn for 15 minutes and dumped them into a full charcoal basket. I left the lid off for 15 minutes and it was running hot around 340F. I cooked the steaks with the lid and took them of when they hit 140F. It was my first time eating steak cooked with Charcoal and they tasted great.
I spoke to Noah (owner of PBC) on a unrelated matter and eventually asked him about cooking burgers and steaks on grill. He told me that the PBC was designed for steaks and burgers. He stated once the PBC gets up to temperature cook steak and burgers with the lid off. Sorry for the long post.

If you're just grilling wouldn't it be easier to just dump a full chimney load of lit coals to begin with? You'll be at grilling temp in no time.

Yeah Carbon that's a good point.

If you want to cook steaks like you do, I would load the PBC with 50% lump and let 'er rip till it's time to put the meat on with the lid off. There's no way that barrel will warp.

makes good sense to me........

Back