Asian Jamaican chicken? Dead bird live cook (done)

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Potatoes hanging down at the fire, sweet corn above. Chicken i marinaded in a hodge podge of sweet soy, soy, brown sugar and gatorade (yes gatorade) lol then seasoned with Island Spice Jamaican Jerk.

Wood is oak, maple and a little cherry....hot hot fire.

Last edited:
Looks good. Teriyaki marinades tend to burn on me........but then again im no chicken king.......

Looks great. I love a good teriyaki but I burn them a bunch. Still really good with a little char!

Looks good. Teriyaki marinades tend to burn on me........but then again im no chicken king.......
LOL, thanks Steve. Ya know you can build a drum spinner. The temps averaged 450* easy and no burn.

Looks great. I love a good teriyaki but I burn them a bunch. Still really good with a little char!
Thanks Marty. A'int nothing wrong a little char on teriyaki!

Just crusty enough, that looks delish
Thanks Titch! Oh yea...gotta have what i call some outside texture. Hot 450* direct heat from a fire gives the skin a nice crisp and keeps the inside juicy.

Looks fantastic

I have been thinking about the way a vertical flow cooker like a PBC works, and how it might prevent the burning of teriyaki sauce. This sort of illustrates my thoughts.

BTW, really, Gatorade? Which flavor, why?

Looks fantastic

I have been thinking about the way a vertical flow cooker like a PBC works, and how it might prevent the burning of teriyaki sauce. This sort of illustrates my thoughts.

BTW, really, Gatorade? Which flavor, why?
Bob I think it's the more the rotisserie action that prevents the burning since it's always moving and away from the heat on each rotation. IMO it's better than hanging because the bigger profile of the meat and skin is getting hit directly with the heat. When I hang it won't get near the crispiness.

The gatorade thing happened by accident once when a recipe called for lime juice. I needed something else to mix with the soy sauce and brown sugar for a marinade and all I had on hand was the gatorade. I gotta say it worked great lol... This maridade was about equal parts of soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, brown sugar and the gatorade just served as the rest of the liquid. I figure it worked good each time so why not stick with it. lol

Back when I cooked chickens for the church, the chickens would go through 12 flips of the cooking baskets. We always had golden brown chicken with just crispy edges. Coming off of an open pit. I think you are right about the rotisserie

Back when I cooked chickens for the church, the chickens would go through 12 flips of the cooking baskets. We always had golden brown chicken with just crispy edges. Coming off of an open pit. I think you are right about the rotisserie
I got 2 years with this setup now and it doesn't matter about what temp or sugar amount and it's not burning like grate cooking does. Part of it also I think is the meat distance away from the fire even though it's still 350-550* at meat level, something like a kettle ring I might go not as hot but that's just speculation.

Bob I'd add one thing, you're right about the profile of the meat hanging PBC style won't burn very easy also, just with chicken sometimes i want that crispy shell on the outside that only direct heat right on the skin can give you and roti cooking excels with that and not burning.

Last edited:
Awesome...that's how chicken should be done! I see a ton of cooks on here and I'm getting a little immune but that chicken just made my mouth water.:thumb:

Awesome...that's how chicken should be done! I see a ton of cooks on here and I'm getting a little immune but that chicken just made my mouth water.:thumb:
Thanks pj I know what you mean by immune....same for eating it. I gotta mix things up or it gets old, all my cookers cook different so that helps too.

Looks real good, I like the rotisserie idea.

Thanks! I didn't know how it was going to turn out a couple of years ago when i made the wood split fired roti but turns out to be probably my favorite overall build and it has a big improvement I'll show later that makes it twice as good imo. The thing turns out some incredible food.

Back