Does spritzing really help?

levi27123

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Does it add moisture or keep moisture on the meat or does the water pan help better?

Last edited:
i think it helps keep the bark from getting to hard too fast by keeping it cooler

Every time you open the cooker you lose heat. Depending on the specific smoker it can take up to 20 minutes to recover. I quit spritzing a long time ago because all of that open g of the cooker was extending my cook time. Plus, again, depending on the specific cooker, you also lose any moisture built up inside.

Help?? Sure it helps extend cooking time! :laugh:

There is truth to what jbounds said but it's gonna be cooker specific, most of the time it's not a practice that you need to do.

It can be a way to add additional flavor to whatever it is you're cooking. I stopped spritzing for a long time and recently picked it back up and have been liking the results. I'll only hit it a time or 2, maybe 3 at most.

Never spritzed... Never needed to...

If you're lookin' you ain't cookin'...

If you want to spritz limit it to when you are going to open the cooker anyway and be quick. Hit it and quit it. I never spritz but doesn't mean I won't try it one day.

I really don't know if it helps, but if I open the door for some reason (taking something off or on or whatever) I'll do it. I don't open the door just to do it.

If you want to spritz limit it to when you are going to open the cooker anyway and be quick. Hit it and quit it. I never spritz but doesn't mean I won't try it one day.

when i do spritz...ill do it maybe once every 2 hours...takes about 15 seconds of the doors being open

Spritzing doesn't help with adding moisture...

I spritz with apple juice, not for flavor but it leaves a great clear gloss on the ribs... makes a great presentation.

I would agree with most on here that the less time you have the cooker open the better. I would also add that if you baste with something thicker like squeeze butter than spritz a simple juice/vinegar type concoction it will achieve the same thing but last longer.

If you are spritzing to add moisture to the meat do not bother. Spritzing is a great way to add a thin glaze or a nice bit of flavor AT THE END of a cook.

When you spritz throughout the cook trying to add moisture three things happen.

1- You're opening the cooker and losing heat thus extending the cook

2- When liquid is sprayed onto meat and then evaporates the meat loses heat just like your body does when you sweat and it evaporates. This extends the cook

3- All this adding to the cook time has just killed your efforts to retain moisture and you lose more than you would have in a shorter cook with no spritzing

I spritz to control the bark from over cooking...spritzing does not add any flavor...a good spritz has to have canola, vegetable or your favorite oil of choice...spritzing without oil and you are wasting your time.

I spritz to control the bark from over cooking...spritzing does not add any flavor...a good spritz has to have canola, vegetable or your favorite oil of choice...spritzing without oil and you are wasting your time.

i knew i wasnt the only one doing it for this reason lol

Back