Cook for 900 Vets: Long Island, Aug 22

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi!

On August 22nd the Brethren will be cooking for roughly 900 veterans at the VA facility in Northport, Long Island, NY.

We would greatly appreciate you lending a hand.

We need volunteers of every type and every skill level.

We need large pits and pitmasters to handle them. We need people to man grills for burgers and dogs. We need people to work on side dishes. We need people to pull pork, slice brisket and cut ribs. We need people to refill the trays with food.

Whatever you can do, we'd be grateful for your help.

A rough estimate of what we will be cooking is:

200lb Butts, 150 lb Briskets, 120 half chickens, 210lb Ribs; 800 burgers, 50lbs sausage; 60lbs Hot dogs; Baked beans, 3 Salads, watermelon, Ices.

A rough estimate of time frames:

Friday
3:00 - 5:00 Harass Phil
5:00 - Prep big meats
TBD - Meats on the smokers

Saturday
5:00 - 6:00 am Ribs on smokers
8:30 - Prep side dishes that require cooking (beans)
9:45 - Get grills set
10:00 - Pulling pork
10:30 - Start grilling, slicing ribs, running food
11:00 - food service starts
3:00 pm - Done (although we will most likely be done much earlier)

This is our 4th year and it's always a great opportunity to serve those that have served our nation.

Sadly I can not help out. I am and still will be working on the Kodiak Deepwater Project in the Gulf of Mexico on that date. I would like to wish you the best of luck with this endeavor my friend. I hope that it is a overwhelmingly success.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'd suggest anyone that can help in some way, please do so. You won't regret it.
Heck the 3:00 - 5:00 Harass Phil
would be worth the price of admission :mrgreen:

This is awesome stuff guys. I'm in the planning stages of trying to get a charity cook done next year in my area to benefit a group of homeless veterans who are transitioning from homelessness back into society. Keep up the good work, sadly, I can't come out for your event.

Hey Eric, in terms of the hot dogs, we discovered last year that the best way to cook up about 350 hot dogs is to use a Backwoods Party, the dogs sit right into the grate, can be loaded in and they taste great high temperature smoked. Plus, no burning.

Anymore info for the event on Saturday? Where do we meet? Is this the address

79 Middleville Road, Northport?

If you are in need of some hard working but low skilled help. You can try your local Boy Scout council. Some of the adults have respectable outdoor cooking skills, and at scout camp tthey cook for 300 every meal.

The address is 79 Middleville Road, Northport, NY

When you arrive: Stop at the guard gate and let them know that you are helping with the BBQ. Continue past guard gate. Make a right at the first stop sign. Take road around following signs to building 9. Pass building 9 to parking lot H. Park in h. We are right there in the field at H.

Time Frames

FRIDAY
5:30 – 9:00 prepping meats, enjoying delicious SRF ham, annoying Phil

You can arrive at any time and leave at any time. Please keep in mind that some folks will have to be up by 4:30 to get the ribs going, so they will have to hit the sack early.

Saturday

5:00 am – help with ribs
8:00 am – prepare side dishes
8:30 am – prepare chicken
9:00 am – chicken in smoker (if being smoked)
9:45 am – prep grills
10:15 am – Start finishing big meats and slicing ribs
10:30 am – light grills, get burgers/dogs/sausage going
11:00 am – start serving
1:00 pm – start clean-up
3:00 pm – stop serving

As an Air Force vet, I appreciate your efforts and wish you success.

I used to solicit assistance from the TX Veteran's Commission and the local VA when setting up a gig. I was the Secretary of the State Comptroller vets and we had some great dual purpose initiatives.

It hardly seems fair, how rewarding it feels to do this.

Hope to see you there.

Back