• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Trailer logos

Blanton

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I know there was discussion here last year on trailers with logos being considered commercial and getting stopped for DOT. Just wondered if this is still happening or if most just say screw it and do it any way. Sure see a lot more logo'd trailers than not.

AL trooper told me that he will stop every trailer that he sees.

Other than staying in GA, I've only gone to Richmond VA with our logo'd trailer and we didn't have any issues.

I've had a full wrap with logos on my trailer for 5 years and have done 30-35 contests per year all over the Southeastern US, and I've had no problems so far. However, because I just made that statement, I will probably get stopped my next time out with a logo on my trailer...:wink:

I have a friend who graduated from the the Tennessee Highway Patrol Academy about a year ago. I had him ask in class about logo's on a trailer. In the state of Tennessee, you are safe UNLESS: you advertise products for sale or advertise that you cater. Keep in mind that is Tennessee only.

I've had a full wrap with logos on my trailer for 5 years and have done 30-35 contests per year all over the Southeastern US, and I've had no problems so far. However, because I just made that statement, I will probably get stopped my next time out with a logo on my trailer...:wink:

Uh oh... they are going to be waiting on that new rig. ;-)

You guys will have to excuse me..I am a little slow. Is the issue that you would need commercial insurance in some jurisdictions if you have logos, etc... on your trailer?

If my trailer gets stopped do I get to file amended returns against the last 8 years expenses for my 'commercial' trailer? Emailing my CPA...

A couple years ago, I heard that a team was on their way cross country to the world food championship and got stopped because of the logos. And that they had to hire a commercial driver to take them the rest of the way. Can't recall who the team was, but that might have been the thing that started the trend of some teams going lighter on the logos.

You guys will have to excuse me..I am a little slow. Is the issue that you would need commercial insurance in some jurisdictions if you have logos, etc... on your trailer?

You would be subjected to the same things commercial trailers go through - weigh stations, driver logs (no more than 8 hours driving per day I think), paperwork, etc.

I wonder if the scale of the logos makes a difference as well. We have a small 6x12 with a logo on the side and back door, but it's smaller, surrounded by other teams stickers. We do not have a wrap on our trailer like some teams do, and we've never had an issue. I've even been pulled over for other things with the trailer, and the police never said anything.

We cook mainly in Georgia, but we've traveled up to Virginia and Michigan and over to the WFC.

Here's the DOT requirements

Note that the threshold is 10,001 pounds for the entire rig (truck and trailer). So if your truck and trailer weigh more than that (not tagged weight, weight on the street at that moment) and there is an indication that you use your trailer to make money, including prize money. (sponsor logos are a big red flag there, the words "catering" "competition" "Sponsored by" are also considered prime indicators) then you fit the definition of a commercial vehicle and are technically required to have a DOT number a physical card and maintain a driver log. You do not need a CDL in most circumstances. RV's and trailers registered as RV's (campers) are exempt from this.

I don't know about the WFC incident but there was a team headed to the competition at Mohegan Sun last year stopped by DOT and parked until they hired a CDL driver to pull their trailer so it does happen.

They have to prove you are commercial and are making money off the trailer. If they can't prove you make money with it (You can say you cook for free at events ETC…) it will never stick in court.

Back