What brand of ribs are you using?

Kaptain Kadian

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have tried the Smithfield extra tender, but wasn't really impressed. I have tried ibp from Sams, but they don't seem as meaty as the Smithfield ones. I found some Tyson all natural at Walmart once, and liked them pretty well. Anyone have one they prefer over another? Thanks.

For everyday use I like the Smithfield Brand....For those "Special Occasions" I usually use Compart Duroc.

Kroger moist and tender here. Could do well consistently if I'd just cook them right :p

I've been playing around with the Smithfield ETs too

Swifts Premium baby loin backs at Costco. There are 3 to a Cryovac and most times the membrane is already removed. They are very meaty.

I'm not a comp guy and not sure why I clicked, but
the ETs cook faster from my 2 cooks.
For home someone mention Duroc (?).
Gotta practice w/ ET. Taste was on, one here says they taste
'hammy' but I did not taste hammy on the 2 cooks I've done.
I went 1.5 1.5 15min for STL and they were overdone.
Same though on full spares and overdone, but altogether tasty.

Where are you getting the Smithfield prime? I have only cooked the extra tender once and they did seem to cook faster than I have had other ribs cook.

Couple grocery stores and bbq stores in my area sell them. Sams club in our area has started selling them too Or you can order them from kc competition meats.

I've had pretty good luck with all natural spare ribs from Meijer.

Restaurant Depot.. Forget the brand but pre trimmed spares

I want to try the Smithfield prime. Used the ET's lately and nothing too bad to say about them. Hopefully my Sam's has prime.

I checked with my Sams Club today, and they are selling Smithfield prime ribs and butts now. They didn't know if it was a permanent change or just temporary. They said they have been getting them for around a week now. I am tempted to pick up a few racks and freeze them. Anyone freeze ribs they are going to use in comps? I took Johnny Trigg's class, and he didn't like to freeze buts, but I don't think he had a problem with freezing ribs. Thanks

up here, Sams has been on Smithfield for awhile. First the cryo was completely unmarked, then later it had Smithfield logos stamped on small, and then it switched to "Prime Reserve". Id assume they are the exact same ribs, with enhanced branding. Wish they would single pack.

I've had pretty good luck with all natural spare ribs from Meijer.

I don't compete, but there are always plenty of slabs of whole spares to sort through at Meijers, and they come with the breast bone removed. Some are almost SL spares already.

Couple grocery stores and bbq stores in my area sell them. Sams club in our area has started selling them too Or you can order them from kc competition meats.

I don't think that the Smithfield prime and the Sam's Smithfield prime reserve are the same. But still like the Smithfield prime reserve.

Back