Picanha??

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hi All Is this the same cut as Picanha..It is called Beef Rump cap/ Pichanha Peca Inteira? I have bought Picanha before but never heard of called by this name. Last time I bought Picanha it was called top sirloin cap, and it was great!!!
http://w.seabrafoods.com/circular/NJ170810/

Thanks Dan

I think those would work quite well. Decent price, too - if it's choice.

Picanha goes by several names such as "top sirloin cap roast", "beef top butt cap", or "culotte", but most of the butchers around me didn't know what it was by any name and would often tell me it was something it wasn't, such as tri tip, or maybe like what you linked (perhaps that is actually it, but I've not heard that term either). The IMPS/NAMP cut is "184D". I finally found a butcher that knew what it was after giving them the 184D term.

Good luck, it's one of my favorite cuts of beef!

http://www.beefinnovationsgroup.com/Valuecuts/sirloin/data_pdf/beefLoinTopSirloinButt-How_to_Cut.pdf

Hi All Is this the same cut as Picanha..It is called Beef Rump cap/ Pichanha Peca Inteira? I have bought Picanha before but never heard of called by this name. Last time I bought Picanha it was called top sirloin cap, and it was great!!!
http://w.seabrafoods.com/circular/NJ170810/

Thanks Dan

I saw that and had the same question. I'm torn between getting that or getting a bone-in chuck when they go on sale for $2.99 at Shoprite on Sunday.

Seabra's has a ton of off-the-wall crazy stuff. And they usually have full-length uncut short ribs.

Picanha goes by several names such as "top sirloin cap roast", "beef top butt cap", or "culotte", but most of the butchers around me didn't know what it was by any name and would often tell me it was something it wasn't, such as tri tip, or maybe like what you linked (perhaps that is actually it, but I've not heard that term either). The IMPS/NAMP cut is "184D". I finally found a butcher that knew what it was after giving them the 184D term.

Good luck, it's one of my favorite cuts of beef!

http://www.beefinnovationsgroup.com/Valuecuts/sirloin/data_pdf/beefLoinTopSirloinButt-How_to_Cut.pdf

Hi I never heard Picanha called a Beef Rump Cap,always heard it called a Top Sirloin Cap. I'm hoping it is the same cut but I'm NOT thinking so. Just have to purchase a piece and see, how it turns out.
Thanks DanB

Yep that's it! It's one of my most favorites!
14344121_10157624088735107_7251130970482194653_n.jpg

Absolutely have heard the all the names mentioned here for the exact same cut used interchangeably. I would buy that in a second.

I saw that and had the same question. I'm torn between getting that or getting a bone-in chuck when they go on sale for $2.99 at Shoprite on Sunday.

Seabra's has a ton of off-the-wall crazy stuff. And they usually have full-length uncut short ribs.

Get the Picahna it was really good the last time "IF" it is the same cut!

Absolutely have heard the all the names mentioned here for the exact same cut used interchangeably. I would buy that in a second.

OK so the Rump Cap is the same cut the Top Sirloin Cap??
Just trying to make sure.

Thanks DanB

Now I want to find some of this and put it on my rotisserie. My research has shown me some pretty mouth watering photos.

Get the Picahna it was really good the last time "IF" it is the same cut!

Just trying to make sure.

Thanks DanB

Yes. In my area it's not something that is out. I have to ask for it, and some people know what I'm talking about. Some don't. I've actually had the most luck of recognition when I mention the rump cap. That seems to be the most common term at least in my area, and every time it's been the perfect cut that I was looking for. Triangular shape with a large fat cap.

Maybe, it depends. in other countries, rump cap is the name of the cut used for picanha. The question is whether the "rump cap" this chain is selling is the same piece of meat sold as "rump cap" in those other places, or if it's a name they use for another cut, if that makes sense.

I'd ask the guys in the meat department whether it's sirloin cap or something else.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Dan.

I've been bouncing the idea of a picanha around for months now, but never knew what cut it was.

and slathered in Mayo first
Wait - I slathered 2 bone-in chicken breasts
with Mayo and rub and was not disappointed.
I knew they would be cooked, moist, unflavorful,
and good for salads, etc., so when they turned out BORING,
I was not disappointed..

Wait - I slathered 2 bone-in chicken breasts
with Mayo and rub and was not disappointed.
I knew they would be cooked, moist, unflavorful,
and good for salads, etc.

I was joking of course..

But Mayo is no joke. It is hella good browning agent

I was joking of course..
I know, as was I.
But those "Split Chicken Breasts"
I cut off the rib area, were too large and plump, no taste.
I hate to diss big breasts but there is no taste in the
chicken breast meat, only texture.. any flavor has been imported...

I know, as was I.
But those "Split Chicken Breasts"
I cut off the rib area, were too large and plump, no taste.
I hate to diss big breasts but there is no taste in the
chicken breast meat, only texture.. any flavor has been imported...

Yea...if it wasn't for hormones in the chicken feed, their breasts would be closer to an A cup than DDD

Back