Contest Announcment Jug Tavern in Winder, GA - CANCELLED!!!

bbq.tom

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hillsborough, NC (UNC "TarHeel" country!)
Just got an email from Rita Riner stating that the "Jug Tavern Festival and BBQ Cook-Off" in Winder, GA will NOT hold the BBQ competition portion beginning this year (2015).

Too bad, as we truly enjoyed this contest from a judging standpoint!

Oh well, now to find another contest that weekend.

Not that weekend, Tom, but I learned yesterday that the Low Country BBQ Fest in Charleston, SC is going to be held on Labor Day weekend again this year. Kelly received the go-ahead yesterday and will begin processing paperwork right away.

Jason is the new Winder event going to be a pro event or is it still backyard.

Jason is the new Winder event going to be a pro event or is it still backyard.

Yeah not 100% sure. Says "Backyard and Kids Q" in parenthesis so maybe no pro. I'll check the maturity level cut off for that kids q portion :becky:

Matt,

The new Winder event is going to be a Pro event. Rusty and I are looking forward to being the reps at this first year contest.

Julie

Matt,

The new Winder event is going to be a Pro event. Rusty and I are looking forward to being the reps at this first year contest.

Julie

I spoke with the contact person on the KCBS page a few weeks ago and he said backyard only. I sure hope they changed their mind. Hope to see you and Rusty there.

Shows how much I know. It makes sense with KCBS now sanctioning Backyard events and this being a first year event. Jason, Erin tells me you're just a tall kid anyway so I'm sure you'll be allowed to enter; Matt will have to leave his daughter at home since I think she's the adult of that team :p

I realize there is a lot of silt in the water after the sudden announcement of the cancellation of the KCBS sanctioned event at the Jug Tavern festival that makes it hard to get a clear picture of what is happening. It will take a little time for it all to settle, but let me pass along what we know first hand as of this posting. This information all comes directly from the people on the ground in Barrow County.

The Winder City Council has decided to do away with the sanctioned BBQ contest. They say they plan to continue the Jug Tavern festival as before, but without the BBQ contest. Some local teams were asked to vend. No reason has been given for the cancellation, but the Council has said they do not want any overnight events at the venue.

A separate, new event called "Flags are Flying" has been scheduled for May, to be held in the same venue. If the City prohibits overnight occupation, it seems that this event will be limited to backyard.

In the interest of keeping the competition BBQ community coming to Barrow County in September, some of the people who helped to launch Jug Tavern originally are now working to put together another contest in a different venue. As of yet no official announcement can be made, but the effort is moving swiftly and groundwork has already been laid with KCBS, local authorities, etc. A preliminary announcement is expected very soon, with full details and call for signups to debut as soon as the GBC banquet Feb 7th.

So hang tight and keep the weekend open, folks. I'll pass along more information just as soon as we have solid commitments from all the parties involved.

-GF

I just got off the phone with the individual who was organizing the second contest near Winder on the same weekend as the cancelled event. That event was has fallen through and will not take place. At this time there are no plans for an event the weekend of the cancelled Jug Tavern event in September.

Julie

Julie is correct. Despite strong support from city executives, the council of a second town has voted against holding a KCBS sanctioned contest in September. There is still interest there, but a suitable venue has not been located. Perhaps next year.

Sorry folks - we put in a serious effort to keep an event in Barrow County, but local government was unwilling to cooperate. Please support the 2015 KCBS events in Athens, Conyers & Lawrenceville and tell all the locals you meet there how much you appreciate them hosting a Pro BBQ contest in their community!

Julie is correct. Despite strong support from city executives, the council of a second town has voted against holding a KCBS sanctioned contest in September. There is still interest there, but a suitable venue has not been located. Perhaps next year.

Sorry folks - we put in a serious effort to keep an event in Barrow County, but local government was unwilling to cooperate. Please support the 2015 KCBS events in Athens, Conyers & Lawrenceville and tell all the locals you meet there how much you appreciate them hosting a Pro BBQ contest in their community!

When do you expect the GBC schedule for next year to be released?

When do you expect the GBC schedule for next year to be released?

Good question Randy!

The Brasstown Valley BBQ Throwdown next weekend is the only event officially on the 2015 schedule. The balance of the schedule will be announced at the banquet Feb 7th. I can tell you that we anticipate applications from all the events from the 2014 schedule that are holding a contest again in 2015 plus a few more. Today is the deadline for applying.

Back