• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smokin in Steele, Owatonna MN 5/29-5/30 early bird double discount

carlyle

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
The 8th annual Smokin in Steele in Owatonna, MN is on May 29- 30 at the Steele County Fairgrounds.
Just like other years, we are Knights of Columbus raising money for Special Olympics. Purse is $10,000 paying to 10 places in all 4 categories plus GC and RGC.
The 67 teams we had last year found level sites - grass or asphalt- close electrical and water - indoor bathrooms and showers - and about as much fun as you can handle.
There will again be a Kids Q and Backyard. Plus 12 stellar Blues Band in our Beer Hall and outdoor stage. Also returning is the hot rod garden tractor pull, 5K run and antique tractor pull.
Our wonderful KC breakfast crew will again provide a free breakfast for teams.

We are offering a discount on our 2 most popular purchased options:
Electricity $20 off usual price -- that makes 20 amp FREE and 30 amp $10
Anything Butt ( our ancillary category) FREE - $25 value.
OFFER GOOD UNTIL FEBRUARY 15.

If you have been here before, you know how much fun we have.
If you have not been here before, put the word out and check us out.

So for you teams who know you are coming, here is a chance to save some $$.

Any questions ???

20 bucks is all the sudden 10 gallons of gas. Big boy competition at owatonna. A 670 was only good for 20th last year

Yes, cheaper gas is a real plus, and adds value to to the discounts.

Roger that about tough competition. Your score was nothing to sneeze at.

Hope you had good enough time that you will come see us again.

I suppose I will drive the 1/2 mile from my house to compete in this one.:wink:

Seriously though, This one is a great contest and one of the best in the upper Midwest. Put it on your calendar and get there, returning team or new one it is a great time.

Sigh ...:tsk: someday . I want to get to this contest either as a cook or a judge .Crap just keeps getting in the way . Any time you go to Minnesota or Iowa you better have your lid screwed down tight . We will be at Woodbury if you want to stop in . We plan on having the Minnesota Boxer Rescue group out to visit . Might have some small get together on friday nite .

Thanks Dustin - you champion white chili maker.

Coz- Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and make the commitment to be here.
Once you do, I am sure you will want to return.
I do think about you any time we go thru Montello on the way to Oshkosh to visit
wife's family.
Eventually we will get together.

Doing our best to make this work this year. And I think we will make it, but probably not by the early bird discount by a few days.

Shannon(Iowa Wild Hogs) is pushing this one super hard for us, telling us this will equal Mason city as our absolute favorite contest.

Doing our best to make this work this year. And I think we will make it, but probably not by the early bird discount by a few days.

Shannon(Iowa Wild Hogs) is pushing this one super hard for us, telling us this will equal Mason city as our absolute favorite contest.

The question is does owowatonna have the cheerleader like Mason City .:biggrin1:

Fat Freddy - I really hope you can make it work to see us. My thanks to Shannon.
No question that Mason City is a great Iowa contest that you do not want to miss.

Many teams that have been to Smokin in Steele say that we are the Minnesota contest you do not want to miss. You won't be sorry. Each year more teams stay over Saturday and it is all a big party with great live music. Each year more of our judges come and stay for the whole weekend. All of that results in a richer experience.

Coz - you rascal you !! I will have you know that last year Ruth was here on Friday in time for the cooks meeting. Of course she was "encouraged" to do the cheer. Smiles all around.

Ruth ( organizer for Mason City) always visits us, we always visit her contest. We are great friends and share ideas and information with each other. That is how it is supposed to work isn't it?

So, Coz, while I can not promise the cheerleader at the cooks meeting every year, is that enough incentive to drag your stuff over here and make our event even more lively ???

January 20th check already spent, so the plan is if everything works right and nothing goes wrong(kiss of death now) then we are looking at Feb 20th check. School only pays once a month. But we have every intention of being there.

Great contest!! We will definitely be there! Great organizers and great overall venue.
The amount of fun we have on Saturday night should be (and might be) illegal.

This will be my fourth year judging this one! We always take the trailer and stay from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning - a great place to visit with friends.

This will be my fourth year judging this one! We always take the trailer and stay from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning - a great place to visit with friends.

Your glowing reports have sent my curiosity into overdrive and thus have commited to this years event.
Does my memory serve me right that there is a White Castle in the vicinity?
Ed

I had this one on my radar this year. Unfortunately having to be in a wedding that weekend took away the chance to go. Maybe 2016

Freddy- Don't dispair, from mid Feb to mid March you can still get a free anything butt entry.
Justin, great to hear the current GC will be back to defend. We enjoy your company
David- looking forward to spending time with you again my friend - and newly re elected BOD member
Blue Smoke - great news. Will look forward to meeting you. We are excited you are coming too.
Ed - White Castle ??? Seriously ??? Nope none here . But I am really happy you decided to come and look forward to spending time with you. It will be a blast.
Tduffy - hope it works out for next year. I know how it goes with family weddings.

Pretty sure myself and Aaron of Lucky 19 BBQ will be down there this year for the backyard contest this year. I didn't make it down there last year, but Aaron did quite well on his own.

Pretty sure myself and Aaron of Lucky 19 BBQ will be down there this year for the backyard contest this year. I didn't make it down there last year, but Aaron did quite well on his own.

you guys might as well move into the realm of kcbs.

Thanks Tperk - will look for you.

Atta boy Hedge- keep on encouraging the migration !

you guys might as well move into the realm of kcbs.

We may do a few KCBS comps this year, but last year was just our first year of competing, so we may do a few more backyards to get where we want to be.

Back