Pastrami question

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Sorry, tried the SEARCH and answer my own question but it is having troubles.

Anybody know the link to a couple of the better pastrami "how to" threads?

Do y'all do whole packers or just the point or flat; trimmed or not?

Thanks

I do packers, but you need to separate and trim the fat cap and fat between the point and flat. To me, the point is a bit fatty and the flat is a bit dry. I mix some of each when I package it.

Also, I slow smoke mine to about 165, chill, and then steam in the oven to probe tender. Chill again and slice.

Sorry, tried the SEARCH and answer my own question but it is having troubles.

If you are trying to use the Google search box just hit search a few times and it will work. Lots of folks, not just on here, are reporting intermittent issues with custom Google searches.

But, as a subscriber you have access to the built in forum search function and as far as I know that works just fine.

Now... As far as pastrami, are you looking to start from scratch and cure your own corned beef first?

If you are trying to use the Google search box just hit search a few times and it will work. Lots of folks, not just on here, are reporting intermittent issues with custom Google searches.

But, as a subscriber you have access to the built in forum search function and as far as I know that works just fine.

Now... As far as pastrami, are you looking to start from scratch and cure your own corned beef first?

Thanks Ron, been following the thread over in the tech part of the forum; tried submitting the search 4-5 times, nada.

Yea, want to go from scratch I just took a 15# packer out of the freezer to thaw in the fridge. One caveat though, I'm thinking I will just use Badia Pickling Spice rather than make my own. Guess I'll need to figure out how much to use and how long to brine.

I cheat &use corned beef and a pastrami rub cant taste the difference.

That is what I've done the few times I've made it but I had a big packer that needed to get out of the freezer and I'm all out of pastrami.

I did this one a few weeks ago. Used a corned flat from the store and black pepper/coriander rub. Came out pretty well....

Last edited:
my advice... don't stop at beef. make some porkstrami, turkstrami, jerkstrami and baconstrami. you will be glad you did.

You can use any lean cut of beef for pastrami. Look closely at pastrami in the grocery deli does it look like brisket? I want one of those 4" thick briskets.

I cure my own. Have used ready made corned beef before, but like the taste of my own much better. Sometimes use packers, sometimes flats, sometimes tri tip. No matter what, pastrami is one of my favorite things. I have been using the recipe from "amazing ribs"

Sooo . . . . here we go

Quick Question: How long do I wet cure; seen everything from 3-4 days to 2 weeks or more?

Trimmed down a big old packer (one that needed to come out of the freezer), probably about 12 pounds after trimming Just made 2 gallons of curing brine (al la Michael Ruhlman) and it is cooling now. My plan is to get it in the brine this afternoon for ???? days, rinse, pat dry, apply the black pepper & coriander rub and let it set for a day ten smoke with pecan.

Just gotta figure out how long to let it swim in the brine.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Back