Brisket cook tomorrow. Sauces? Sides? Ideas

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have heard of people doing Au Jus as a sauce with brisket keeping with the beefiness of the dish. Any thoughts. Thinking simple on the sides corn bread, and grilled corn. Open to other ideas though.

Spaghetti_Monster !!!

depending on what kind of cooker you're using, maybe set in a bean pan underneath the meat for a few hours & let it drip some of the goodness there....goes great w/ cornbread !!!!

i usually go for a third to half the cook time whenever it's not wrapped, if that's the case....a few hours of smoke & drip.....savory additives for beef.....

This shows it pretty good............

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2937337

Good luck...this is what I struggle with most is knowing what to serve on the side...that I can manage anyway. Sometimes beans and slaw get a little old and need some excitement! Of course Cornbread would be exciting to me...maybe some Jalapeno corn bread :-D

I have heard of people doing Au Jus as a sauce with brisket keeping with the beefiness of the dish. Any thoughts. Thinking simple on the sides corn bread, and grilled corn. Open to other ideas though.

A nicely cook brisket will retain a good amount of moisture and collagen, after the rest when the meat is sliced it will leak moisture. In my opinion, brisket is best served without any sauces, but everybody had different tastes.

Beans and cornbread are great easy sides..

When I made a brisket for my last March Madness cocktail party, I browned the meat in some bacon rendering, deglazed the Dutch oven with a mix of onion, carrots, and celery, then braised the meat with Guinness. The brisket took just under four hours to cook.

Afterward, I made a sauce by straining the liquid, adding red wine vinegar and tomato paste, and whisking in flour and butter.

Roasted potatoes make a nice side dish with brisket.

I like something with a good bit of acidity as a counterpoint to the brisket. A pickled salad or something like that.

For brisket, I thinking to serve with a side of Stubbs traditional sauce (or another less sweet sauce -- for those who like sauce) and then some Fire Corn from Jeff Phillip's book Smoking Meat. And then a green vegetable of some kind (broccoli, green beans). You can do baked beans or something heavier, but for me, the brisket is a meal by itself, so if i do sides, I like to balance them out a little bit.

Hey, here's one that fixes pretty quick & goes with anything....

Chunk down to cobettes, roll/ sprinkle w/ chile powder.......

Grilling8-13-2014022.jpg

wrap in in bacon & smoke awhile, then add a pat of butter on top.....

Grilling8-13-2014029.jpg

Grilling8-13-2014031.jpg

Whenever I have bbq cookouts I try to have sides that either compliment the bbq or really do a good job of cutting the richness of the fat that is in bbq.

Here are a list of sides I have made this summer for my different dinners.

Cole slaw (vinegar based preferred)
smoked corn
home made pickles
Summer salad (spinach, strawberries, almonds, thin sliced red onions, feta/goat cheese w/ berry vinegarette)
cheesey jalapeno corn bread
Wampus baked beans
Black beans and rice
Sweet potato fries
Spicy sweet potato puree
sweet potato biscuits

An easy go to side for me is - Microwave mashed potatoes (the reesers or Country crock brands are great) and I chop up some of the jar jalapeños with a little juice in the potatoes I also add just a little shredded cheese - They are awesome!

Sounds like a great meal!!

I also like just a regular ol' crunchy potato chip :grin::grin::grin:

Back