• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pit of choice for competition

bjgamez

Reaction score
What is everyones pit of choice for competition? I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the thread...

You will definitely get a ton of answers here ranging the entire gamut of smokers from stick burners, fully insulated gravity fed, UDS, pellet poopers, etc. None of which are really better than another, just what fits your cooking style and budget. We us 2 Backwoods. A G2 Party & Chubby and the setup is perfect for us. There certainly are a lot of factors into what cooker someone chooses. I wanted something insulated that can burn for a long time with little attention and also portable as I needed to be able to lift them into the back of my truck.

I'm a fan of insulated vertical gravity fed smokers. I have noticed there's a lot more people going that way over here in Texas. In the San Antonio rodeo BBQ cook off. I think 3 of the top five used a pitmaker insulated smoker, but have heard these things get too hot and closer to the 275-325 range. Anyone have any experience with these?

I absolutely agree, Podge. They do cook as good as they look if you know what you're doing.

On the other hand, there is a reason I call the Fatboy the magical black box. :wink:

I agree with Fnbish, it is what works for your cooking style and setup. I designed my own for competition because I could not find what I was looking for and I like building my own. Its a Zigs Cooker.

I'm a fan of insulated vertical gravity fed smokers. I have noticed there's a lot more people going that way over here in Texas. In the San Antonio rodeo BBQ cook off. I think 3 of the top five used a pitmaker insulated smoker, but have heard these things get too hot and closer to the 275-325 range. Anyone have any experience with these?

I've got a vault and if you don't put water in it AND it has the slide for the intake, it is very hard to keep below 325 with any fuel at all in it. I sealed up the slide and can put it anywhere I want now. J$, a contributor on this site had them install a ball valve for air inlet on the firebox instead of the standard slide they install...which I'm sure works amazingly well for fire control.

In review, pitmaker vaults and safes are water cookers and if I cook with water it sits on 250 as long as there is water in the pan and the fuel will last about 6 hours. If I cook dry, the intake better be sealed up and I control with a guru. I can set it on 275 and cook for at least 12 hours without a refill on fuel.

I like my vault a lot; but until I sealed it up, it was a bit disappointing in fuel consumption and burn time.

I've about decided that it makes more sense to buy 3 smaller pits instead of 1 large pit.... Everything cooks at different temps and comes off at different times. When we cooked everything on 1 pit we were constantly opening and closing the smoker... We decided to go this route:

Traeger Texas for long cooks... Butts and brisket
Traeger junior for hot grilling.... Chicken
Backwoods for medium cooks..... Ribs.

I know some people won't like the idea of cooking on a traeger but I'm a much happier cooker when I have a full nights sleep! :wink:

I've got a vault and if you don't put water in it AND it has the slide for the intake, it is very hard to keep below 325 with any fuel at all in it. I sealed up the slide and can put it anywhere I want now. J$, a contributor on this site had them install a ball valve for air inlet on the firebox instead of the standard slide they install...which I'm sure works amazingly well for fire control.

In review, pitmaker vaults and safes are water cookers and if I cook with water it sits on 250 as long as there is water in the pan and the fuel will last about 6 hours. If I cook dry, the intake better be sealed up and I control with a guru. I can set it on 275 and cook for at least 12 hours without a refill on fuel.

I like my vault a lot; but until I sealed it up, it was a bit disappointing in fuel consumption and burn time.

I have the safe, if there is water in the pan it sits at 225-250 easy. If there is no water in the pan it wants to be over 300.

I have the safe, if there is water in the pan it sits at 225-250 easy. If there is no water in the pan it wants to be over 300.

Our backwoods are the same, I just run a water pan full of sand in the one our briskets and butts are in so I don't have to get up at night (Plus a guru alarm isn't enough to wake me from a Jack induced booze snooze).

Buy/Build what you can afford and cook with it often. Knowing how to control your cooker is more important then what brand it is.

I do it for the chicks. Cbicks dig guys with big wood......:oops:

I believe you have to also throw the FEC100 in to any conversation about cookers.

where i'm at, it seems there's less and less FE's out there.

Back