fatty, can i freeze and reheat?

Trunks

Take a breath!
Reaction score
planning on doing a fatty with in next few days and will do a few since its a waste to do just 1... on the 22.5 WSM

my question is if i make a few how long do they keep in fridge and also can i freeze whole 1s after they are smoked? how would 1 reheat it ?
what temp am i shooting for cooking temp? also internal?

thanks !

If I were going to freeze a fatty, I would slice and fan out then vacuum seal and freeze.
To reheat, drop the entire package in simmering water.

Good suggestion ^^^^

I've cooked extra and frozen them before. They aren't as good a s fresh, but they are still good :-D

Fatties are great bits to cook, rest, wrap, and freeze for future consumption (even if you're not lucky enough to have a vacuum sealer).

I typically take mine to 165 (just like Chris, above), wrap them in foil, then let them rest in a warm oven set at 150F for a bit. If I'm going to freeze them, I'll let them cool for about 15-20 min outside the oven and put them in a freezer bag before going in to freeze.

For use, I'll pull a whole fatty from the freezer and transfer to the fridge for an overnight thaw. We'll usually use the whole thing over the course of a week from there.

Discovering a fatty in the fridge when it's time to cook breakfast is a wonderful thing. Slicing a few rounds and giving them a quick fry-up in the skillet before I do some eggs is my normal "go-to" (scrambled eggs and fatty is good... but a fatty, egg, and cheese sandwich just takes the cake for me these days).

Hope that helps a bit.

Kind regards,
SD

planning on doing a fatty with in next few days and will do a few since its a waste to do just 1... on the 22.5 WSM

my question is if i make a few how long do they keep in fridge and also can i freeze whole 1s after they are smoked? how would 1 reheat it ?
what temp am i shooting for cooking temp? also internal?

thanks !

Regarding will Fatty's freeze:

Short Answer: Yes
Long Answer: Hell Yes

If I were going to freeze a fatty, I would slice and fan out then vacuum seal and freeze.
To reheat, drop the entire package in simmering water.

I have done this and they work great - I have also pan seared them to reheat and they are great they way too!

MMMMmmmmm FAtties!

When I make a bunch of Fatties I usually just go naked, just dusted with rub. Cook/smoke at 225F and pull at 150F internal, cool down for a short while, wrap in foil & then into the fridge over night. Slice them up, toss in a zip lock (Don't have no fancy air suckin' machine...) and into the freezer. They'll usually come apart when you need one or two. If not, a couple seconds in the wave will usually do the trick. Then I'll wave them until mostly thawed and into the fry pan with the eggs & spuds. AWESOME breakfast!!!

I do quite a few fatties at a time---different rubs and such.

I am the only sausage eater in the house, so I cut them in half, vacusuck, and freeze.

Works wonderful reheated and sliced for breakfast (2 meals for me), or into a 2 cup sausage gravy and biscuits meal.

GOOD EATS!

TIM

Back