40+ pounds of pork butts

tre77inpc

Reaction score
I did a cook a few weeks back for about 35 people. It was my largest cook that I’ve done so far. I ended up with five pork butts that were between 8-10 lbs each. Here’s how it went.

5 hours into the cook

About the 9 hour mark. Threw some beans underneath.

12 hours later and here they are.

Rookie mistake not getting any pics after I pulled them but they turned out great. Thanks for looking.

looks great, did you cook them stacked up like that ? and what did you cook them on ?

Da

looks great, did you cook them stacked up like that ? and what did you cook them on ?

Take a look at the pics. and ask that same question again now can YOU get the right answer ? Pic. tell the story IMO

Those look great! I don't think you could shoehorn much of anything else in that cooker...

Take a look at the pics. and ask that same question again now can YOU get the right answer ? Pic. tell the story IMO

lol well after paying closer attention I am thinking a wsm on 2 grates but then letting them ride stacked a little with the beans underneath , no ?

New cooker coming

Those look great! I don't think you could shoehorn much of anything else in that cooker...

Now you have your case that you need a BIGGER cooker. It looks like you are at the max of this one. Great use of the space you had and be able to make it happen. Great pic. showing how you did it, this will give lots to others (self included) ideas how to do this and make it happen also. IMO

Just for clarification I started with 3 on top and 2 on bottom. The cooker stayed solid at 250. At 9 hours I put everything on top so I could fit 2 pans of beans on bottom. For 35 ppl, 4 butts would have done it but hey, who doesn't love some left over pulled pork.

You pulled it off! Nice job

I did 44 lbs in my 18.5" cooker in 5 1/2 hours which was four butts. Mine were 11 lbs a piece but don't know I could have done five 8 lb though.

Back