Thanksgiving Recipes

allancoh

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Wanted to see if anyone had some non traditional thanksgiving recipes to throw on the smoker.

Something out of the box or different from the traditional smoked turkey, ham and the sort.

I thought about smoking a turkey early and then pulling it and throwing it in some ABT's but it still isn't much different.

What do you all think!?

Our family smokes a small pig the day before, and we always make a pork dressing with the leftovers, and we also add a litte af the left over pork to the gibblet gravy

Hope you're able to share/get access to any recipe here. I've been a member for 3 years now and they still don't give me access to Recipes. Keep get a re-direct to some stupid page about bots.

I might stop by more often if not kept out of it.

Hope you're able to share/get access to any recipe here. I've been a member for 3 years now and they still don't give me access to Recipes. Keep get a re-direct to some stupid page about bots.

Most people have no problem POSTING recipes on here when requested.
What you are referring to is the forums recipe page. This is not open to just anyone as they don't want people just lurching from this site. Based off of your status "got rid of the match light" and your claiming to be a member for 3 years it's obvious you don't post many comments at all in the forum and therefore participate. It takes a certain amount of posts to be able to access the recipes. That is clearly stated on this site. I find it odd of all the wonderful and massive amounts of BBQ information posted here, one of your only posts is a complaint about something that is a rule/setting created to protect this forum.......:shocked:

To the OP: wish I could help but I mostly cook the traditional stuff. But I'm hoping you get some good answers!

4 posts in 3 years! :clap2:
Sometimes it takes a while to come out of ones' shell. I get it.
Took me a while too. I don't post too often, but read almost daily for new ideas.

Not bashing, just sayin if ya post more you'll get a link to the recipes.
Only a few more posts gets you there.

I usually do a butt... Cut out blade bone, make small incisions in the fat side, stuff said incisions with cayenne peppers, garlic and onions, stuff cavity where bone was with fresh sausage(i use green onion), slather with mustard, rub with favorite spice rub(i use Pookie Gs)... Smoke til internal is about 165 or 170... Slice and serve with rice dressing, and candied yams!!! Enjoy

Sidewinder - I've always found everyone here very helpful and friendly. After you get a few posts up I believe you should get access to the recipes

WickedCajun- That sounds delicious, I've never thought about removing the bone and stuffing it before

IamMadman-that recipe is interesting..i'm completely thrown off by the joke portion of it, i'm probably just to slow:razz:

today i thought about brining some chicken breast, pounding it out, stuffing with cheese, peppers and rub then making it into a ball, tying it and smoking. To make it more "thanksgiving" oriented i thought of doing some with stuffing and cranberries inside but i dont know how both the stuffing and cranberries would do in the smoker.

I usually do a prime rib, couple slabs of ribs, and a stuffed pork loin. Not a huge fan of turkey.

Smoked Squash Bisque

Very Seasonal but not really traditional . . . Smoked Squash Bisque

1 medium butternut squash (cut in half discard seeds and strings)
1 large yellow onion (slice into rings and caramelize in veg oil)
3 cups chicken broth or veg stock
1/2 cup crumbled bacon
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sherry
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Smoke (roast with smoke) squash @350 for 1 1/2 hours
Caramelize onion and blend well in food processor with some broth or stock
Blend squash well in food processor with some broth or stock
Combine all ingredients except cream and bring to gentle boil for 20 minutes
Add heavy cream and reduce heat to just keep warm
Taste for seasoning
Serve with croutons

I like this "soup course" so I'm not such a gluten with the main meal plus its easy to do while the bird is still smoking away. I buy the bacon precooked from the salad bar (what a bargain) just to save time. It can be refrigerated and served a couple days later if you wish.
:hungry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people have no problem POSTING recipes on here when requested.
What you are referring to is the forums recipe page. This is not open to just anyone as they don't want people just lurching from this site. Based off of your status "got rid of the match light" and your claiming to be a member for 3 years it's obvious you don't post many comments at all in the forum and therefore participate. It takes a certain amount of posts to be able to access the recipes. That is clearly stated on this site. I find it odd of all the wonderful and massive amounts of BBQ information posted here, one of your only posts is a complaint about something that is a rule/setting created to protect this forum.......:shocked:

To the OP: wish I could help but I mostly cook the traditional stuff. But I'm hoping you get some good answers!

Well, how many posts does it take? I've for over 400 and I dont see the sticky note link it mentions. So where do I find the link?

As to the Thanksgiving recipes, I've got a couple that I'll post, but I have to get on my PC to get them. I'll post them in a little while..

Over the past 10 years or so its become a tradition for me to pull an all-nighter Wed night smoking some butts and sausage to eat over the weekend (a delicious option to turkey leftovers)

I throw a couple of breakfast "fattys" on the smoker around sunrise for breakfast

Then right into cooking some turkey. 3 different types this year...smoked, deep fried, and one in the Big Easy. Add some smoked mac and cheese and smoked beans with that, and we eat pretty well over the weekend.

Oh, did I mention I'm cooking for 27 this year?

I am absolutely worn out by Thanksgiving evening...and I wouldnt have it any other way! Easily my favorite cook of the year!

Usually I stuff a boneless pork loin with brats but this year the only thing the relatives get from me are six fatties stuffed with cheese filled jalapenos.

Well, how many posts does it take? I've for over 400 and I dont see the sticky note link it mentions. So where do I find the link?

As to the Thanksgiving recipes, I've got a couple that I'll post, but I have to get on my PC to get them. I'll post them in a little while..

I don't know the exact amount of posts as I surpassed that long ago. However, once you hit the magic number (50 maybe) you should have received an email (or message) letting you know you could now access the recipes. It would have also stated that there was a link at the top of the BBQ forum you could click on to get to the recipe page. It would have also stated that the link was only active for 30 days and instructed you to add the web address to your favorites so you can access the recipe page after the 30 days were up and the link disappeared.

You may want to get in touch with a MOD if you have posted 400 and do not have the link. They may be able to help you get access to the page. :grin:

Back