I need to say it here (Bad BBQ at work)

Doesn't your employer compensate you for your work with your paycheck? If so, how does that entitle you to a good meal at your employers expense?

The fact is like Landarc said, employers are trying to do something nice for their employees and provide a meal. They might not know it is bad, but being fuming mad bout a free meal is still meh.

aawa, I couldn't have said it better myself. The only thing your employer is required to give you is a paycheck. Everything else is a benefit, which is "a payment or gift made by an employer." Employers are there to do one thing... make money. And when they go beyond issuing you a paycheck they are digging in their own pockets. Yes, those pockets may be very deep, but people should appreciate it. I just don't get some people's attitudes of entitlement and demanding special treatment for doing their farking job.

There used to be a lot of people that felt entitled at my work.
Now that the staffing has been reduced by ~40% the rest of us just feel overworked.
It is very hard to cater in a meal that everyone will be satisfied with.

There have been many suggestions to the OP to offer to cater it for the next meeting, I personally think that is a terrible idea unless the OP has experience catering remote events and even then this is a workday function, not a weekend thing. The logistics would be terrible.

I don't think you have to bow down to your employer and grovel but the snobbish BBQ critique of a work lunch seems a bit much.

As a new distributor for a compressor manufacturer in Norfolk (German name means farmer), VA, back in the early 90's, I was taken to dinner by one of the VPs. If the steak was bad, it would have been my fault. The place was called "Grate Steak". The server brought a selection of raw steaks to the table, you chose which steak you wanted and you cooked it yourself over this huge grill. I always wondered how much the liability insurance cost them.:rolleyes:
WOW, this brought back memories. Took my sons there for a little bonding. One took the raw meet to the grill, the other had his steak cooked for him. When I asked him why, he responded "Who goes to a restaurant to cook their own food?" Couldn't argue his logic.

Now this is funny!:loco::clap2::clap:
Well I'm glad you got a chuckle out of that but the statement is true. Most of us here cook much better BBQ than you will ever buy from one of the chain restaurants and we know what good Q is supposed to taste like, hence educated and refined pallets don't like the taste of bad Q.:biggrin1:

Free lunch from work..... Complaining about something free is meh.

It was FREE
I think that it's important to remember that the OP was not about lashing out at the employer but about the quality of the Q joint that catered the event. Wether he buys it or is fed it for "FREE", bad Q is bad Q!:wink:

I hate to be the party pooper here but, good BBQ/food depends on who is doing the TASTING, not the cooking.

My wife and I were talking earlier about the times my cousins came for a visit. My cousins live in a very small town and they don't travel much so they pretty much eat the same thing all the time. A few times when they visited we took them to really good restaurants and they turned their noses up at the food. But then we asked them where they would like to eat they raved about "Golden Corral".

You can't help what other people like.

Well I'm glad you got a chuckle out of that but the statement is true. Most of us here cook much better BBQ than you will ever buy from one of the chain restaurants and we know what good Q is supposed to taste like, hence educated and refined pallets don't like the taste of bad Q.:biggrin1:

oldbill, see: pallet and palate.
No offense intended, but it DID give me a chuckle.:thumb:

oldbill, see: pallet and palate.
No offense intended, but it DID give me a chuckle.:thumb:
Yeah, I throw out words sometimes without checking my own spelling. That was pretty funny!:oops::p
No offence taken!:biggrin1:

Last edited:
Yeah, I throw out words sometimes without checking my own spelling. That was pretty funny!:oops::p
No offence taken!:biggrin1:
At the risk of hijacking this thread I just want to apologize to everyone.:grin:
Back during the 1970s knowledge of A.D.D., dyslexia and other learning disabilities wasn't what it is now. What is now common knowledge about those things in fact, didn't even exist in those days. Although many struggled with it they were just considered "bad students" and ended up with a little less of a basic education than the others.
I was definitely one of them and although I have managed to overcome my childhood issues, got an education and adjusted pretty well for the most part you really can't CURE yourself of the problem and the misspelling or misuse of simple words will sometimes still give me a reminder of my early school years. I know what I want to say but putting it into writing can create a real mess sometimes! LOL!:razz:
Anyway, I apologize to everyone for my previous posts and ahead of time for the ones that will inevitably come later that don't make much sense due to jumbled spelling, use of the wrong word or even abruptly changing subjects. It has been and will continue to be a life long struggle for me but bear with me, I DO have a pretty good knowledge of BBQ and if you squint a little and read between the lines you might make some sense of what I'm trying to say.:biggrin1:
Again, sorry about hijacking!:wink:

Thank goodness we cook our own BBQ for our lunches;)

I hate to be the party pooper here but, good BBQ/food depends on who is doing the TASTING, not the cooking.

My wife and I were talking earlier about the times my cousins came for a visit. My cousins live in a very small town and they don't travel much so they pretty much eat the same thing all the time. A few times when they visited we took them to really good restaurants and they turned their noses up at the food. But then we asked them where they would like to eat they raved about "Golden Corral".

You can't help what other people like.

I'll second that. My wife made turkey pot pie with a home-made crust with leftover Thanksgiving turkey. It was outstanding. We invited this lady over and her comment after the meal was "it's almost as good as store bought". We still laugh about that one.

Thought about this before

I had a conversation this summer with a guy who owns a catering company that does the rib fest circuit in Canada. These rib fests consist of generally 10 to 15 different "ribbers" (catering companies) that set up side by side with the big banner wall displaying "1st place, peoples choice award 2012, etc". Many from around Canada, and a bunch come from the states. I go there for fun, with a group of friends and the park is absolutely packed. Importantly, there is nothing but many people, families, groups, all having fun and enjoying the ribs.

We were talking about how he does the ribs for these events and he told me it is not even close to what he would do in his back yard. Not that it is crap, but it is catered towards what many people are accustomed to. They like overly saucy, sweet, sticky ribs because that's what they are used to. These are no doubt better than the chain restaurant ribs, but they share some similarities. His ideal rib is a great rub, long low smoke and depending on the mood, a quick sear with a brushing of a little bit of sauce. In these settings, he wouldn't survive trying to make a statement and trying to get people to try stuff out of their comfort zone. It's unfortunate, but in the long run - the people left happy and really that's all that matters. When I bbq for friends, I do cater a bit to their tastes but I also get them to try some stuff they've never tried before.

When it's free and not good, I usually always eat enough to properly nourish myself but very rarely get seconds and I always say thank you. It's the thought that counts, regardless of the food. That said, I won't eat overcooked steak unless a friend/family cooked it for me. (It's a tooth issue, my teeth don't cut overcooked meats properly believe it or not haha - underbite)

Zach

At the risk of hijacking this thread I just want to apologize to everyone.:grin:
Back during the 1970s knowledge of A.D.D., dyslexia and other learning disabilities wasn't what it is now. What is now common knowledge about those things in fact, didn't even exist in those days. Although many struggled with it they were just considered "bad students" and ended up with a little less of a basic education than the others.
I was definitely one of them and although I have managed to overcome my childhood issues, got an education and adjusted pretty well for the most part you really can't CURE yourself of the problem and the misspelling or misuse of simple words will sometimes still give me a reminder of my early school years. I know what I want to say but putting it into writing can create a real mess sometimes! LOL!:razz:
Anyway, I apologize to everyone for my previous posts and ahead of time for the ones that will inevitably come later that don't make much sense due to jumbled spelling, use of the wrong word or even abruptly changing subjects. It has been and will continue to be a life long struggle for me but bear with me, I DO have a pretty good knowledge of BBQ and if you squint a little and read between the lines you might make some sense of what I'm trying to say.:biggrin1:
Again, sorry about hijacking!:wink:

The use of your avatar ensures that any and all transgressions will be automatically forgiven for life if I may be so bold to speak for the majority here. :thumb:

The use of your avatar ensures that any and all transgressions will be automatically forgiven for life if I may be so bold to speak for the majority here. :thumb:

I see the avatar and forget why I licked on the thread. Not even sure if I've read one of his threads! Just kidding oldbill I always read your words of wisdom (after staring at the avatar for a while) :thumb:

I see the avatar and forget why I licked on the thread. Not even sure if I've read one of his threads! Just kidding oldbill I always read your words of wisdom (after staring at the avatar for a while) :thumb:
LOL! Thanks guys! The avatar by the way is a rare photo of the elusive "Two Leg-ged DEAR"... (and that WAS spelled correctly). This species is only known to only be found in Texas!:wink:

A friend and I won a free round of golf sponsored by Bass ale. When we got to the golf course (a nice, private course), we were given golf shirts, golf balls, tees, and other giveaways. It was 50 degrees and bright sunshine. There were pretty girls in carts with free beer and snacks about every 3 holes. We had a free lunch afterwards with drawings for lots of prizes. The guys we were paired with evidently weren't playing well and complained the whole time, even during lunch. Free golf, free beer, free lunch, pretty girls, giveaways, beautiful weather...never could figure those guys out.

"licked on the thread" :clap2:

Back