Reheating smoked chicken on grill

Sauce Dog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have an event coming up that requires high volume chicken thighs & legs. Normally I smoke/grill them over coals in my pig roaster but this event might require pre-cooking. Was thinking about pre-smoking in the stick burner and re-heating onsite to brown and crisp up the skin. Anyone have success with this, or other suggestions?

Thanks!

I have not tried that, but I would be worried about them drying out. Is there any way to cook the first batch and keep them hot while the second batch is cooking? That way all you have to do is put the done chicken back n the grill to crisp up the skin.

Yair . . .

Dunno folks. This "crisp skin" thing is weird to me.

I never heard of it until I came here and it is not a feature I strive for . . . in fact in fifty years of cooking I don't think its ever happened.

I would suggest though that re-heating and any notions of "crisp skin" are mutually exclusive.

Cheers.

I did just that earlier this week. I was grilling some sausage for a work get together and tossed a spatchcocked half on the coolest part of the rack to reheat then I reglazed with sauce and went direct. Wasn't dry when I first cooked it and wasn't on long enough dry the second time.

I did just that earlier this week. I was grilling some sausage for a work get together and tossed a spatchcocked half on the coolest part of the rack to reheat then I reglazed with sauce and went direct. Wasn't dry when I first cooked it and wasn't on long enough dry the second time.

Second that... that smoked chicken (thighs / legs) to a safe temp (165-170*), then cooled and into the fridge. Next day, sauced and grilled for about 15-20 mins till skin was crisp and sauce was set. worked out great.

Thanks guys, yeah these are some of my concerns. I use a BQ Grills pig cooker for my chicken pieces, which smokes/cooks and crisps all in one shot. Each round takes about 45 minutes, and can cook about 80 quarters per round. I'm feeding 250 but unfortunately can't arrive on location with enough time to cook 3-4 rounds (it's a lunch event downtown L.A.). I was thinking of smoking the day before just to temp, but at a low temp so as to not render the fat too much. Maybe that could help with the dryness as it gets finished on the grill?...Or, this could be the perfect excuse to buy another cooker :rolleyes:

Back