Sous Vide - DIY Project

OferL

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
There are several solutions in the market for SV cooking. These are basically a combination of:
  1. A heat element.
  2. Thermostat - sensor, controller and adjustable digital display
  3. Water pump - circulating the water
  4. w/o water pot - some you place in your water pot, others are built into an electric pot
The price range is $200-$1000 and up. Some have added features like WiFi, BT, apps etc. The price for me in Israel is higher. When you add shipping and taxes it’s minimum ~$350. Plus I am a DIY guy and I know how to work with electricity, so I looked around the web and several people got nice SV projects working at home.

If you don’t know how to work safely with electricity DON’T try this. Learn before you start. I take no responsibility to any damages for anyone trying this or anything like this. Try at your own risk.

So I read about the parts I need and understood the most important one is the thermostat. Looking at working projects and recommendations for its accuracy, I bought this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-90-250V...-f-w-Sensor-/171203309489?hash=item27dc832fb1
but it’s not the only kind and there are probably better\cheaper. This one is ~$8. It was ordered and I’m waiting for it to arrive. I couldn’t find a similar one online in Israel and it’s too hot and damp outside to go to electronic supply stores looking and not knowing if what I get is good enough. So ordered on ebay. Now waiting...
I got a 6.5 litre slow cooker at a local electronic store. Cost NIS99 ~$25. You can go cheaper here with other water heaters and regular pots you have at home.
A water pump at a local aquarium store. I bought the smallest cheapest one NIS49 ~$13.
Wires, wall socket and a wall plug were in my tool shed, so $0 for me… it should be about $5-6 at a hardware store.
Total materials cost ~$46-52 so far.
I’ll also get a nice plastic box to install the electronic parts in. After I get a good measure of size and wiring. This is both for esthetics but more important for safety. So that will be ~$5.
Bought ziplock food grade bags. I guess they were ~$4.

Again: If you don’t know how to work with electricity DON’T START. LEARN BEFORE YOU TRY. Or just buy a commercial device. Be a responsible adult.

Next steps will be when the thermostat unit arrives. Connect all the parts. Make some trial runs with just water. Cook a steak in the SV. Sear it on the grill. Eat the steak. Enjoy the steak(?). Fine tune the temps and the times. Make another steak. Repeat until perfect MR. Install all the parts in a nice box. Invite guests. Make some steaks. Listen to praises. Retire.

I will update as things progress...

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your journey. I was sorely tempted by the Brethren Hype Train the last couple of times the Anova units were on sale and became the latest "must have" item.
I could not drop a couple of hundred - but I made do with a cheapo thermostatically controlled switch plugged into an analog crock pot.
It turned out some excellent steak - but I realized I was never going whole hog- doing 36 plus hour cooks.
If you are only going to do steaks - you can go the "Bubba Sous Vide" route WAY cheaper.

good luck!

AussieTitch
It looks like it's the same unit. Also the same vendor... Sort of.
How long till you got yours delivered?

Before the prices for these all in one units got affordable, I bought a PID controller from Auber, a single coil electric grill top, a big pot, and a fish tank aerator. Works great. Used it a dozen times, bagged it up, and put it in the pantry. Haven't used it since.

Pics of tests. Without the thermostat.
The pot working with the water pump and some thermometers.
And a pic of the small pump in the water. A little hard to see.
I think both my thermometers are broken. One reads 64c and the other 45c...
Any recommendations for a thermometer?

Attachments

• 20160704_155933~01.jpg
    20160704_155933~01.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 20160704_171023~01.jpg
    20160704_171023~01.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 20160704_171058~01.jpg
    20160704_171058~01.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 168
Not a fan of Sous vide. I've done dozens of cooks and experiments and the food always taste bland to me. Consistency and even cooking are great with sous vide...

It is true that many restaurants use sous vide but I've found that the meat they've used in the sous vide process is heavily sauced, seasoned or transferred through another cooking process to gain flavor. I've found very few that use sous vide as an only step or even sous vide and searing.

Not my bag of tea and mine is gathering dust. The only time I use it is to cook carrots or chicken for chicken salad. I wish I didn't buy into the hype..I guess you live and learn.

The thermostat finally came. Here it is next to the water pump.

Since I had all the other parts it took about 15min to assemble.

Working at reaching 55*C.

After I see it's all working properly I'll get a box and fit all the parts in it.
Also make some steaks :grin:

I have a similar setup. I switched from the controler that works in C to one that works in F. It is a little more accurate. I found a digital cooker doesn' work because everytime the power goes off, you have to reset the cooker. I used an old fashioned analog roasting oven.

I tracked the temp over a long cook with my bbq thermometer. I found that, for whatever reason, the temp can vary 3-4 degrees. Not very precise.

Neat project. Looks like it came together nicely! Good job. I thought about doing something like that. Then, I decided on this.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UKPBXM4/ref=s9_simh_gw_g79_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0NSANKCCH48FDEKFSS13&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=6aad23bd-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop"]Amazon.com: Anova Culinary PCB-120US-K1 Bluetooth Precision Cooker, Black: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71CcfjICwGS.@@AMEPARAM@@71CcfjICwGS[/ame]

Neat project. Looks like it came together nicely! Good job. I thought about doing something like that. Then, I decided on this.

Amazon.com: Anova Culinary PCB-120US-K1 Bluetooth Precision Cooker, Black: Kitchen & Dining
Thanks.
I would buy one of those myself. However I have to add ~$100 in delivery and taxes to get it. So before I commit to such a purchase I wanted to see if I like the results.
Have a look at my cook. I wrote my conclusion in the end.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233927

Back