Copying Cowgirl Again

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
As most of y'all know, Jeanie put up another one of her awesome posts the other day about her mother's Chinese BBQ Pork. Like all her food, it looked really great, and as luck would have it I had a pork loin thawing in the fridge.

I have learned during my time here that Cowgirl will never steer you wrong! IMO her blog is a national treasure - and I'm not just saying that because she's such a sweetheart - I really mean it. It is a chronicle of good eats, cool builds, and a creative and self-reliant lifestyle.

Alrighty, time to cook. Some of the pix are blurry, methinks. I'm too lazy to get my readers to see. :tsk:

Butterflied and scored loin.

photo-2249.jpg

Marinated overnight and threw on my beloved 26.75. Using Best of the West mesquite lump. I bought my first bag of this recently - it's not quite as good as Wicked Good or B&B, but a 40# bag is under $15, so I'll be keeping this stuff around - it'll do just fine for grilling. My B&B and WG sources dried up on me and I can get the BoW in my neighborhood so there ya go.

photo-1868.jpg

It was getting a little scorchy, so I moved it indirect.

photo-622.jpg

I simmered the marinade for a while to boil off the nasties and basted with it.

I've been getting good results with pork roasts by taking them to around 137 and letting 'em coast up during the rest to finish.

photo-1569.jpg

Plated. The rice is Zatarain's, which Toast sent me. Great stuff - it got destroyed my me and the fam in short order - thanks Toast! The purple stuff is cabbage with onion and apple - we had a dish similar to this at a traditional Dutch restaurant in the Netherlands and figured we'd put it in rotation here - it's quite good. The pork was fantastic - this is a recipe that's gonna stay - thanks Jeanie!

photo-2209.jpg

Anyway, the meal was a hit = thanks to Cowgirl and Toast for your contributions to this great meal! :clap2:

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
That looks great man. I have been using the BOW lump myself lately too, it's decent compared to our other choices out here.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Awesome G.!
I'd probably swap the loin for a porkbelly...more Phatty porky Phlavour.
The red cabbage with apples is usually eaten in the winter (google winter :p ) and served with hachee (beePh stew) and mashed taters...ask your boy Guy.

^^^What's this "winter" of which you speak? :noidea:

Yeah, next time I'd do it with a Phattier cut, but that loin was just sittin' there in the freezer waiting to be eaten.

I think Jeanie's looked better. But, nice cook GTR.

I agree with you on Cowgirl's blog, it's fantastic. I have to wonder though, where her mom would have come up with her own recipe for Chinese BBQ pork, assuming Jeanie is not half-Chinese.

I think Jeanie's looked better. But, nice cook GTR.

I agree with you on Cowgirl's blog, it's fantastic. I have to wonder though, where her mom would have come up with her own recipe for Chinese BBQ pork, assuming Jeanie is not half-Chinese.

She is totally half Chinese Bob. Havn't you seen her face?:biggrin1:

Seriously though, I gotta try the cabbage dish.

...........and her blog IS awesome!

Back