UDS too large for Weber kettle dome

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone cut the top rim off their drum to reduce the diameter to make a kettle dome lid fit their UDS (my drum is just a bit too big for the kettle dome to fit on it)? Did you cut with a grinder and just grind off any rough edges? Any other tips to make the newly cut metal safer? I was thinking of trying to put an oven gasket around the top edge . . .

I had the same problem. However, instead of cutting the drum or the lid, I cut the top 3 inches off the Weber Kettle bottom that I was taking the lid from. Then bolted the ring inside the drum with it sticking up a bit over the top of the drum. Weber lid fits on the Weber ring and everything works fine. Several other people have done the same. I used a jigsaw to cut the kettle.

I put the drum I got an a solid floor. set the lid on it and jammed it on as tight as I could get it, then I used a piece of 2x4 block and hammered the rim edge all around. That eventually spread the lid rim outward enough to form to the wider diameter of the drum. I then ground a angle on the outside of the drum rim to give my lid some room to fit down but not be stuck on, so it would lift off the drum with out being difficult yet the lid is sealed pretty well, since I didn't mess with the rim top edge.

Attachments

• stretching the lid rim.JPG
    stretching the lid rim.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 91
Add a small piece of sheet steel on the inside of the top edge of the drum around the opening...A bead of high temp gasket material between the metal flange and the barrell and a couple sheet metal screws and your done, problem solved....

Attachments

• barreltop.jpg
    barreltop.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Mine was close enough to fitting that I ran a grinder around the rim of the barrel a few times just enough to shave off enough medal for the lid to fit how I liked it.

Back