costco has pork belly boneless sliced at $2.99

B

bradymartin

this is the stuff bacon is made out of yea? im thinking to experiment and try making bacon. any easy simple recipes? ill be using my new wsm 14.5

IMHO, the sliced pork belly has little use. I've had a lot of trouble finding a whole piece of pork belly anywhere local. I settled on salt pork and smoked it with really good results.

Do you mean the whole belly like this??? This is what you will make bacon with.

upload_-1

i wish i could post a picture but it looks nothing like that ss

theres no bones and the slices are against each other

it looks like very thick raw slices of bacon placed against each other

You can't really use those slices for bacon. Look for the one piece in the pic above for bacon. They just started to bring them in. Really good price at $1.99/lb.

I just want to find bone in pork belly! Bone = flavor.

Umm, no.
Belly comes from, well, the belly.
The area between the ribs and rear legs.
The area with the ribs are called ribs.

Nope thats false. A full belly has the spare rack attached. the belly runs from the center of the abdomen north on the hog to the top of the spare essentially. It also has a lot of meat of the abdomen towards the back leg.

Duder. Here's an easy way to do this. Get a bag of Tenderquick (super fine salt) and some turbinado sugar. Coat both sides of the belly generously and place in a vacuum sealed bag or a freezer ziplock and get as much air out as you can.

Let it cure in the fridge for 48 hours. Take it out, rinse it off with cold water and pat dry. Get your favorite rub and sprinkle. Cook around 250 until 150-160 on the inside and let rest. If you so desire, make a glaze or use your favorite bbq sauce and put back in the cooker or under the broiler until carmelization occurs. Slice as thick as you want and throw in the frying pan until crispy as fark on both sides.

Be prepared for your life to change shortly thereafter.

Back