Commercial smoker selection - are there really any stick-burning options?

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi there

I am looking for a smoker to support a part-time B&M location and also some catering. Would prefer some form of stick-burner if I had the choice, but will be required to do overnight cooks and I am unable to provide continuous onsite attention. Have therefore presumed I have to go with some form of charcoal cabinet smoker. Before I do that, I want to ask a couple of questions so as to definitely cross-off stick-burner possibilities …

1. Apart from something like an J&R Oyler (size/cost), is there any stick-burner that can be left unattended for say 4 hours, and maintain temp?
2. Does anyone have any solid experience with the Stumps Monster which can feed full splits down the chute and seemingly has the potential to run with wood for extended periods?
3. When people with Southern Prides say they run theirs on wood alone (no gas assist), is that really the case (not concerned here about startup or hot-hold at the end of the cook)? Could you get a Southern Pride to run 4+ hours on wood alone once up to temp? Cycle would be Get-up-to-temp à 4 hours on wood alone à restoke/settle à 4 hours on wood (and so on as necessary).

Does anyone have any other suggestions on the wood-burning front?

TIA.

PS: One thought I had was to burn wood for the first 4-5 hours, then finish on charcoal. Are there any options there?

In my experience, there are no stickburners that will run on four hours, wood alone. I would not even leave a Oyler or Bewley unattended for that long. I have seen them run that long without needing a refuel, but, I have also seen things go wrong.

I have no experience with the Stumps.

The two guys I know who run Southern Prides do not run wood alone, they tried and didn't like the risks associated with running out of wood while meat was in the cooker. They tend to use the gas to accomplish the cooking. They both said that they felt the heat control was not adequate, to manage a log only burn unattended.

You should check out 270smokers.com they have a really nice smoker. Terry & Stephanie West are the owners and can answer any questions you might have. I know they cook barbecue a few times a year for 1000-2000 people at a time with them. They have several different sizes the largest is the Sumo and holds at least 12 butts maybe more but I'm not sure.

PS: One thought I had was to burn wood for the first 4-5 hours, then finish on charcoal. Are there any options there?

There is this method as well. This would allow me to use a stick burner as a primary smoker.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219158

I could just transfer over after say 5 hours, wrap and cook low and slow over (say) charcoal for the second part, then pull out as needed. So, talking briskets and pork shoulders:
Part 1: 06pm - 11pm: in stickburner
Part 2: 11pm - 06am: in charcoal cabinet
Part 3: 06am - as required: in hot hold

Then get first ribs etc on at say 5am (I live close by, so that gives me nearly 5 hours sleep)

This would require two smokers though. I could do it with an oven for the second part of the overnight cook, but it kinda smacks of something not quite kosher :icon_shy

Are you opposed to wood burning pellets? If not then check out a FEC120.

I have to keep an open mind. In an environment/market that is so new that "authentic" is still interpreted only as offset smoker, then I have to swallow hard if I elect to move away from being able to freely use that label.

I know all the discussion/argument about what is "genuine".

I have had a look at these pellet smokers before and ruled out the 120 because it wasn't a rotisserie, but I see its convection process is well reviewed and commented-upon by commercial users. I am now looking at these again. Many thanks.

There is this method as well. This would allow me to use a stick burner as a primary smoker.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219158

I could just transfer over after say 5 hours, wrap and cook low and slow over (say) charcoal for the second part, then pull out as needed. So, talking briskets and pork shoulders:
Part 1: 06pm - 11pm: in stickburner
Part 2: 11pm - 06am: in charcoal cabinet
Part 3: 06am - as required: in hot hold

Then get first ribs etc on at say 5am (I live close by, so that gives me nearly 5 hours sleep)

This would require two smokers though. I could do it with an oven for the second part of the overnight cook, but it kinda smacks of something not quite kosher :icon_shy

How about the following:
Use the large LSG VOS: http://www.lonestargrillz.com/Vertical-Smokers.html - the 24x30" model. The process would be then ...
Part 1 in the LSG main chamber ...
... then add charcoal to the firebox, open firebox-to-warmer connection ...
Part 2 in the LSG warming box, done with one load of charcoal.

A downside is the differential in chamber size between the main cook chamber and the warming box, but looking past that ... maybe a new diffuser design for the plate between firebox and warmer, plus maybe a plug/plate between firebox and main chamber. That all seems achievable.

This way I get my stickburner and my finishing smoke all in the one smoker.

WE cook on FEC 240's at our restaurant. No problem with them being unattended. Load the hopper. Put in the meat. push the button. Walk away.

Bigmista how is the temperature (hot/cold spots) on the 240? I find that if I load down my 120 there will be 3-4 hours difference between when the first butts are done and the last to come off. This probably would be better for a restaurant but I don't like it as much with catering. When I saw the 240 come on the market I was curious how evenly it cooks.

Deep South makes a pretty big cabinet smoker, and they have the option to make it a hybrid smoker. So you could burn sticks to start and then move to charcoal. It's not a big fire box at all, but you should run a guru with it. I'm guessing you'll get some good burn times doing that.

Deep South makes a pretty big cabinet smoker, and they have the option to make it a hybrid smoker. So you could burn sticks to start and then move to charcoal. It's not a big fire box at all, but you should run a guru with it. I'm guessing you'll get some good burn times doing that.

Mmmm - that's interesting. I had a quick look and couldn't see that option. Is it on their site?

Mmmm - that's interesting. I had a quick look and couldn't see that option. Is it on their site?

Randall has it on their Facebook page. If you look in their pictures, and go to albums you can find it under the hybrid album. I think it's a relatively inexpensive option for the ability it offers. I didn't see it until after I got my GC28. And I haven't seen any reviews on it. So no idea how well it works. Might be worth a phone call.

Isn't the theme here for a indoor restaurant environment?
Good question. If indoors smoker, then will not be visible to the customers, but could be a stick burner. If outdoors smoker, then the question is securing it against tampering if unattended. If well secured, then a question about how much space it will take up, that is the smoker and security ?fence?.

Randall has it on their Facebook page. If you look in their pictures, and go to albums you can find it under the hybrid album. I think it's a relatively inexpensive option for the ability it offers. I didn't see it until after I got my GC28. And I haven't seen any reviews on it. So no idea how well it works. Might be worth a phone call.

Found it: Looks interesting. It would be great to be able to talk with someone about this - what temps it can maintain; whether it achieves the goal of mimicking a full-time stickburner; what sort of wood usage; what models it is available on; air flow etc etc.

I think I will contact them. Many thanks.

Bigmista how is the temperature (hot/cold spots) on the 240? I find that if I load down my 120 there will be 3-4 hours difference between when the first butts are done and the last to come off. This probably would be better for a restaurant but I don't like it as much with catering. When I saw the 240 come on the market I was curious how evenly it cooks.

I don't have that much of a difference, Top shelf is a hot spot because that's where the heat enters the chamber. Very bottom is about an hour behind the second to the top..

You should track down Fast Eddy Maurin and discuss commercial applications with him. Of course he will lean heavily on cookshack pellet units like the FEC120/240/300/500/750, but its good to at least hear out a guy with as much knowledge on the subject of commercial smoking applications as him. He even runs a great commercial bbq class with cookshack and Butcher BBQ. I don't know if he posts here, if you need help digging up an email address let me know.

Back