Crispy Chicken Skin

Tenguns

Found some matches.
Reaction score
We marinade our chicken in the classic Cornell type marinade for 1 sometimes 2 days before a gig.
We are having some issues with our chicken skin getting crispy enough, if you had to offer a suggestion what would it be.
We're using a Meadow Creek BBQ144, and Humphrey Briquettes.
We're trying to use 40lbs to cook 50 1/2's
Thanks guys

vinegar making skin soft...crank the heat...try a little white sugar or even egg whites mixxed in on the last spritz..

Are you using eggs in your marinade? I have done the Cornell without the eggs and had the same problem. The eggs seem to help. also a hot dry fire.

2 cups cider vinegar, 1 cup vegetable oil, 1 egg. 3 tablespoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning

Leave them skin side down longer at the end. You also want about a 8 Mississippi fire, meaning if you hold your hand at the grate chicken level and count count around 8 Mississippi's to the point you can't take it any longer and have to pull your hand away. Any longer and your fire is not hot enough.

Not too experienced with cornell chicken, but when I brine mine, the skin changes color in the brine and reduces the rubbery fat. Then crisping isn't as difficult.

Back