How many sauces?

Sixeight

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We are getting ready for our second competition and I wanted to see what the norm is on sauces. Last time we had a different sauce and rub for everything. I was curious if other teams take one sauce or multiple sauces to a competition?

Right now I use a single commercial sauce and two homemade sauces in different combos on everything with some different spices and other stuff added.

I use 2 commercial and 1 homemade sauce and mix differently for each meat. I mix all the sauces at home and take them labeled to the contest. I find it easiest to just put them in the pot and heat them out of the container. Saves me some time mixing them at home.

Blues Hog original is my main sauce and I mix four other sauces into it, depending on the category.

how many sauces?

Do a lot of cooks still use BH as a base, or is it phasing out, or have the judges just got to a point where they look for it. I mean their are a lot of good sauces out there

While we do not use BH anymore (though I really need to try the new one), I would bet that it is in a large percentage of comp bbq still these days.

Do a lot of cooks still use BH as a base, or is it phasing out, or have the judges just got to a point where they look for it. I mean their are a lot of good sauces out there

I use a Blues Hog product straight out of the jar on two of my meats and the other two are predominantly Blues Hog mixes. Everyone's results will obviously vary, but I don't think it is phasing out at all.

One sauce, straight from the bottle for one category, tweaked a little for the other three.

SB-OQ-2T.jpg

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try the base sauce and Doctor for the different categories. We used BH for one of our meats last comp and did pretty well with it.

BH is def still winning on the circuit. I think anyone could go out and win some contests with BH and a well rounded rub on all 4 meats.

Our scores went up when we started using it.

I do want to try Rub's sauce. I bet it's tasty.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Back